Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

MAKE YOUR OWN RACE FUEL

This is a discussion on MAKE YOUR OWN RACE FUEL within the Yamaha YFM660R Raptor (2001-2005) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; anyone ever use toluene or xylene to make your own home brew race fuel? I did a lot of research online Toulene R+M/2...114 Cost...$4.50/gal Mixtures ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM660R Raptor (2001-2005)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #1

View noluv4hoes's Photo Gallery(0)
Default MAKE YOUR OWN RACE FUEL

anyone ever use toluene or xylene to make your own home brew race fuel? I did a lot of research online

Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$4.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $5/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

FORMULA 2
Xylene
R+M/2...117
Cost...$2.75/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...97.0 Octane
30%...99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toulene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toulene and advertised as *race formula*.

NOTE: PLEASE READ THIS
I get a lot of emailed questions about Toluene.

First, Toluene is Toluene - that is not a brand name. There is no other name.

Second, If you write and tell me all about your engine, and then just ask
how much Toluene you should use - I AM NOT EVEN GOING TO ANSWER.

* You need to figure out what octane your engine needs.
* Then you need to figure out the octane of gasoline you can purchase.
* Then READ BELOW, use the formula below to figure out how much Toluene
you need to add to whatever octane gas you can purchase so that you end up
with the octane your engine needs.

Make sure the Toluene is well mixed with your gasoline.

Now - what you want to know:

Q: How much toluene should I use per tank of gas?

A: Octane ratings can be very easily calculated by simple averaging.

Toluene is 114 octane. So use this formula to figure what octane you get:

( Gallons_of_gas * Octane_of_gas ) + ( Gallons_of_toluene * 114 )
__________________________________________________ _
Total Gallons

This gives the octane of the mixture after you add toluene.

For example, the tank of an Audi A4 1.8TQ is 15.6 gallons. Filling it with 14.6 gallons of 92 octane
and 1 gallon of toluene (114 octane) will yield a fuel mix of:

(14.6 * 92) + (1 * 114)
----------------- = 93.4

The Audi A4 1.8T is a good example of a car that has very high octane needs if it has been modified to produce more turbo boost. The base compression ratio of this car is a very high 9.5:1 and when an additional 1 bar (14.7 psi) of turbo boost is applied on top of it, the resulting effective compression ratio is way beyond what 92 or 93 octane fuel can ever hope to cope with. Most modified 1.8Ts running without octane enhancement are running with severely retarded ignition timing and boost.

Q: How much does toluene cost, and where can I buy some?

A: $10/gallon in a one gallon can at a hardware store, about $6/gallon in a 5 gallon can from a chemical supply or paint store, or $3/gallon in a 55 gallon drum from a chemical supply warehouse.

A2: Experience of Charlie Smith in 2002. Sherwin Williams paint stores have it for $5.00 in a gallon can. They can order it in a 5 gallon can at $4.00 / gallon. They can order 55 gallon drums for about the same cost per gallon, but you have to have a dock unloading facility or a fork lift to get the drum(s) off of the delivery truck.

Q: But, where can I find it?

A: Toluene is a paint thing. You should be able to find it in the better auto-body supply stores and the better paint stores. It is a paint reducer - thinner - {I don't know what}. Here in the US I can find it at Sherwin Williams paint stores. Paint stores that sell to the auto repair shops should be able to get it.

I've had a lot of people say they can't find it. Try both paint supply shops and chemical supply houses. It should be easier to find than Moonshine Liquor ... and you certainly can find that :-) So get creative folks, keep looking. And, if you had a difficult time finding it in your area, please drop me a note and tell me where you found it. I'll add that to this web page!

Q: Can I just dump in 100% toluene into the tank like the F1 racers?
vroom vroom vroom

A: First of all, the F1 racers did not use 100% toluene, but 84%. The other 16% in their brew is n-heptane, which has an octane rating of zero. The reason for this strange combination is because the F1 rocket fuel was limited to the rules to being of 102 RON octane. The n-heptane is "filler" to make the fuel comply with the rules.

Because toluene is such an effective anti knock fuel it also means that it is more difficult to ignite at low temperatures. The Formula 1 cars that ran on 84% toluene needed to have hot radiator air diverted to heat its fuel tank to 70C to assist its vaporization. Thus too strong a concentration of toluene will lead to poor cold start and running characteristics. I recommend that the concentration of toluene used to not exceed what the engine is capable of utilizing. i.e. Experiment with small increases in concentration until you can no longer detect an improvement.

Q: Ok, what is the catch?

A: It should be mentioned that in the US, efforts are underway to reduce the aromatic content of gasolines in general as a higher aromatic content leads to higher benzene emissions. Benzene is an extremely toxic substance. However it should also be noted that the proportions that is being discussed in this FAQ is relatively small and in the grand scheme of things is probably insignificant. Moreover, the industrial standard for defining gasoline composition allows plenty of leeway in aromatic content and the proportions present in US gas is already lower than most other countries. I therefore feel that the information provided here is useful to a performance minded car enthusiast while not being significantly detrimental to the environment.

so i bought a 5 gallon drum of toluene at sherwin williams in san diego for $34.00 to try this stuff out. I think I will do a 50/50 mix of 91 prem and toluene. I'll let you guys know how it worked out over the weekend
noluv4hoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:33 PM   #2

View SCHOLLE's Photo Gallery(0)

Just remeber if you dont need the knock resistance from a high octane fuel don't use it. It burns slower ( pre-ignition resistance) and will generally produce less power in an engine that is not built to run it.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #3

i have a 720 stroker port and polished 13 to 1 cp piston stage 2 hotcam and ti springs, trs ti carbon full yosh exhaust.
noluv4hoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
Primo Member

Premium Member
View 03LimitedEditionRaptor's Photo Gallery(0)

I just run sunoco 110. It has lead in it wich is good for a engine.

97 Yamaha Banshee - F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill Stroker, CPI Pipes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup,
158 main jets, CEL Needles on the middle clip, 45 Pilots.
03LimitedEditionRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #5

I've been running vp110 with 91 premium 50/50 mix and it runs pretty good. this mix brings the octane to 99 and compared to running toluene 50/50 which would be about 102.5 octane. lead leaves build up in the combustion chamber from what i know, correct me if im wrong.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #6

View pereirajr1's Photo Gallery(0)

I agree with noluv4hoes. Before I ran a 50/50 mix of Sunoco 110 and 91 pump gas the valves were pretty clean and a nice caramel color. Now the intake valves have lots of build up and residue. I did notice better throttle response though.
pereirajr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #7

by the way, neither toluene or xylene have lead in them. and i believe there is a certain amount of lead allowed in pump gas anyway.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #8

Old 07-07-2007, 03:40 AM   #9
Primo Member

Premium Member

Most machines that require a high octane fuel have had some major mods done. One of wich is a port and polish job. The polish part of the job is to make the combustion chamber, exhaust valves, and exhaust ports look like a mirror. The surface is smooth so lead or any carbon cant form big major deposits because the surface is too smooth for it to stick.

97 Yamaha Banshee - F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill Stroker, CPI Pipes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup,
Old 07-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #10

View Rippin686's Photo Gallery(0)

I've used 50% Toluene and 50% premium gas with good results. Its a good alternative if you need race fuel and can't get any. They say its hard on rubber parts, but I've ran it with stock carbs and FCR's with no problems.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #11

the only reason i am trying this option is cuz the price is so high on vp110 around here, $55.00 +tax for 5gal. toluene at sherwin williams is $34.00 +tax for a 5gal. i know it sounds like im being cheap but if it works then i am going to save a lot of money since i ride my bike every other weekend down south. I could also get 100LL avgas for cheap but I read a lot of bad things about avgas.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
Primo Member

Premium Member

I under stand that is cool. I know using toluene is a trick that old hot roders also use.

VP is way over priced. It is a good fuel but you are paying for the name. There is a race shop that I can get Citgo 110 for 4.25-4.50 a gallon.

I got a 50 gallon drum of Sunoco Standard 110 for $290. Just go hang out around your local race track. Some one there should be selling fuel. That is where I found out about the Sunoco 110.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by 03LimitedEditionRaptor
I under stand that is cool. I know using toluene is a trick that old hot roders also use.

VP is way over priced. It is a good fuel but you are paying for the name. There is a race shop that I can get Citgo 110 for 4.25-4.50 a gallon.

I got a 50 gallon drum of Sunoco Standard 110 for $290. Just go hang out around your local race track. Some one there should be selling fuel. That is where I found out about the Sunoco 110.
all your paying for is the name with vp, just like buying yamalube and oem oil filters. Im just saying if you can save the money and come out with the same results or better than why not do it? when comes to gasoline, california sucks, other states can get 93 pump and all we have is 91. there is a place 25 minutes away from my house that sells 110 at the pump for $7.25 a gallon. I have done a lot of searches for pumps around san diego with race fuel but I only found two places and the end result is i save more money using toluene if it works. I guess the final goal is to prevent detonation no matter what the cost.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM660R Raptor (2001-2005)

Search tags for this page

how to make race fuel

how to make your own race fuel

how to make racing fuel

how to make race gas

making race fuel

homemade racing fuel
homemade 2cy race fuel
how to mix motorcycle racing fuel
toluene in atv
how to make high octane race fuel
how to make snowmobile racing gas
how to make 5 gallons your own e85 race fuel?
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.