Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

no spark.......help

This is a discussion on no spark.......help within the Yamaha YFM660R Raptor (2001-2005) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; i bought a 97 warrior, for cheap cuz it had "minor electrol" problems = NO SPARK... i've tested and replaced some stuff.. the cdi box ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM660R Raptor (2001-2005)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2002, 01:14 PM   #1

View XtremeWarrior's Photo Gallery(0)

i bought a 97 warrior, for cheap cuz it had "minor electrol" problems = NO SPARK... i've tested and replaced some stuff.. the cdi box is new, the ignition coil tests good, the source and pickup coils test good, the key switch is new, the eng stop switch is new, the battery is new and i had to put a new voltage regulator. i still don't have any spark and i'm get very frustrated. can anybody help me out?? thanks
XtremeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 01:33 PM   #2

View AFR383's Photo Gallery(0)

Did you check your ground? You might have a bad ground somewhere.

WhO mE?
01 Raptor
99 Kodiak

KawieRiders.com
YFZracer.com
AFR383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 01:51 PM   #3

View warrior90's Photo Gallery(0)

what afr said, and also, try a new spark plug, if not that, then you may be getting too much oil, or too much gas

Suv or truck on the way

by the summer a new quad
warrior90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 03:11 PM   #4

its not gas or oil.. the spark plug is new and has no spark..

which Ground wires? theres lots of them.

4SALE: 97' yellow/black Warrior..K&N, Maxxis all the way around... pipe to come soon..
Old 02-27-2002, 04:24 AM   #5

View mr45auto's Photo Gallery(0)

Okay, try your stator. It was one of the few things not mentioned! Other than that check ebay and buy a wiring harness. My Warrior developed a bad electrical miss and I had the harness replaced under warranty and it was cured.
01 Raptor Sparks X6 (SA) Proflow/K&N and minor stuff
Check out www.quadrider.com !
mr45auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 04:39 AM   #6
Admizzlstrizzle

Premium Member
View screamin96's Photo Gallery(16)

Check the wires on the reverse lever. Also, I had the same problem with my warrior one time. Ya know what it was? a bad spark plug...but the spark plug I was using was BRAND SPANKIN NEW! I put ANOTHER new plug in and it had spark. It's a longshot, but try it. Also, are you reverse and neutral lights working?

'89 Warrior
<a href=http://screamin96.tripod.com>My pics</a>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: screamin96 on 2002-02-27 03:40 ]</font>
screamin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 10:47 AM   #7

the source and pick up coils on the stator are checking good..
no my reverse and neutral lights aren't work'n either..
i've had several different spark plugs in there.. no luck though.

4SALE: 97' yellow/black Warrior..K&N, Maxxis all the way around... pipe to come soon..
Old 02-27-2002, 10:07 PM   #8

View warrior1117go's Photo Gallery(0)

is it cranking or no? I had alot of electrical problems on mine. I had to go through every wire to check to see if it was good. Took a long time but it works great now. The electrical has to be the worst part on the warriors.
warrior1117go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 10:23 PM   #9

it will turn over all day long.. i'm bidding on a wire harness on ebay right now..

Old 02-27-2002, 11:58 PM   #10

View badercarma's Photo Gallery(0)

All the electrical things on a Warrior, I've had a few problems with fuses blowing on mine.

http://216.37.204.203/Yamaha_OEM/Yam...=13&A=111&B=21

http://216.37.204.203/Yamaha_OEM/Yam...=13&A=111&B=23

http://216.37.204.203/Yamaha_OEM/Yam...=13&A=111&B=24
Loud pipes close trails.
badercarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:40 AM   #11

View Warrior-P's Photo Gallery(0)

Hopefully this will help. I just went thru the same frustrating situation on my '88 warrior twice and it drug out for 6 months. I was having no spark by placing the spark plug in the cap & holding to the muffler shield or cylinder head for each test mentioned below. All spark tests were with two new spark plugs (swapping from one to another when no spark was present). I measured the resistance on the stator with all readings reflecting to be in spec. I then went to the ignition coil and checked the primary, secondary and end cap resistance readings finding both the secondary out of spec and the end cap measuring infinity (should be approx. 5 ohms). I immediately ordered a new ignition coil & cap from TJ Parts Express. I installed the new ignition coil making an extra effort to ensure the wire plug ins were clean, placing dielectric grease in ALL connections, & cleaned the ground wire & mounting pads for the ignition coil with sandpaper (insuring a proper ground). I thought problem solved: WRONG. I still had erratic/weak spark (depending on which time I hit the start button). The spark sometimes seen was weak (very thin line). I then went back & ohmed the source & pickup coils again finding readings within spec. I made numerous attempts and could not find anything wrong. I was now good & pissed off and could not get any help ( I did not want to take it to the dealer and have him begin a part swap at my expense). I then determiend to figure out exactly how the system worked so that I could better understand how to trouble shoot it (I am a mechanical engineer by trade). Here is how it works: the stator has numerous electrical windings where the magnets on the flywheel pass by the pickup coil sending an electrical charge thru the source coil & winding on the stator. This pulse is an AC pulse (sin wave) that travels to the voltage rectifier. The rectifier changes the wave to DC current and sending the electrical charge to the CDI box. The CDI box pulses the charge at the proper time to the ignition coil where the voltage (electrical charge) is increased and sent to the spark plug. I then took a buddies CDI box and put it on the bike with still weak spark. I checked the timing which showed to be fine. But frustrated, I pulled the flywheel next and checked the flywheel key where everything was okay. I then cleaned the reverse switch both connection & removed the entire switch cleaning the switch & housing (muddy). Still no fire. I then cleaned the start/stop switch located on the right handlebar. Still weak fire (will not start). I then called Electric Tech and described the problem to the owner who said that the source & pickup coils usually ohm out of spec when they are bad, but they can have a crack in the source coil that will cause it to fail, but still ohm out okay (highly recommended me send it to him where he could test it and see if it was breaking down when voltage was hitting it - testing was free except shipping). I sent the stator assembly to them where they found the source coil to be bad. they repaired it for $95.00 with a 1 year warranty (or lifetime warranty - I can't remember). I received the stator back, installed it on the bike, good spark, bike ran fine (NOTE: you can mix up the pickup coil wires & source coil wires and you will get NO SPARK). Anyway, the bike ran fine for about three weekends when it began sputtering & backfiring. As I made it back to the truck, the bike made one loud backfire and never hit another lick. I am extremely pissed off now. I immediately pulled the carb and went thru it several times & could not get the bike to start. This was a mistake. I thought that since I just got the stator assembly back repaired - there was no way anything was wrong with it. NOT. Checked spark & found no spark. I ohmed the stator out and all of the readings were within specs ( the rebuilt source coil resistance was real high, but Electric Tech places additional windings on their coils for better output for lights, etc.). I checked the ignition coil and found the secondary & end caps out of spec again. I ordered a new ignition coil again & end cap. Put the new parts on and cleaned every electrical connection on the bike & filled all plugs with dielectric grease (I did not care what it went - it was going to be cleaned to eliminate as many variables as possible). Still weak spark - bike will not run. I also noticed that I had a fat spark when I would first hit the start button, but it would immediately go away. I called Electric Tech back & he said to send it in and he would check it out. He found a small pin hole size crack in the source coil windings. He repaired the coil & had it back to me within a week - no charge. They stood behind their warranty & really know what they are talking about. NOTE: Usually when the stator goes bad, it will knock out the ignition coil due to low input voltage. I installed the stator assembly. I also checked the wire resistance (very low) from the CDI box to the stator hook up point & saw good continuity. I then checked the spark and I had a "fat" blue spark ( I always had a hard time visualizing this when people described it to me, but it is approximately the same size as the electrode inside the spark plug & it is definitely not the size of a hair (weak spark)). I installed the cap on the spark plug and the bike started up. It has been running for several months now & I am loving it again!!! Hope this helps, but this was a very aggravating & painstaking event for me due to my lack of knowledge. If you check the various things mentioned above, you find your problem very quickly & resolve it.
Warrior-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 03:51 AM   #12

thanks dude, i'll be all over it this weekend. i hope i can find my problem.. Moose makes a replacement 3phase stator, that i might try.. i dunno tho

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM660R Raptor (2001-2005)

Search tags for this page

1987 yamaha big wheel 200 no spark

yamaha 450 kodiak pickup coil resistance

yamaha kodiak 450 no spark

bad cdi box symptoms yamaha banshee

how do i check my stator big wheel
yamaha kodiak 400 weak spark
coil for a kodiac yamaha 450 part 3kj 1026m
yamaha big bear 350 4x4 pick up coil specs forum
troubleshooting yamaha kodiak atv ignition
97 yamaha kodiak no spark
testing 2002 kodiak 400 no spark
kodiak 400 rectifier test
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.