Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Raptor Adjusting floats to the right level.

This is a discussion on Raptor Adjusting floats to the right level. within the Yamaha YFM660R Raptor (2001-2005) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; Hey I want to check if my floats are off and I'm sure they are because I took the carbs apart at least 3 times. ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM660R Raptor (2001-2005)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2003, 08:38 PM   #1

View BlueWindRider's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Raptor Adjusting floats to the right level.

Hey I want to check if my floats are off and I'm sure they are because I took the carbs apart at least 3 times. I need some instructions on how to fix them so they are on the right level. I dont know how you check them exactly. Someone told me but I need specific instructions like where to measure from exactly.
BlueWindRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:10 PM   #2

View sixsixt's Photo Gallery(0)

Check the carb sticky for adjusting the with a piece of clear tubing.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:03 PM   #3

I dont understand it.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:17 AM   #4

View sixsixt's Photo Gallery(0)

On the bottom of the carbs you'll see a small black tube, pull that tube off and connect a piece of 1/8" clear tubing to it. Bend the tubing up next to the carb with the other end facing up (J) kind of like that. Loosen the drain screw next to where you hooked up the tube and gas will fill the tube, where the fuel stops in the tube is where your fuel level is. It should fill the tube and be even with the seam between the bowl and the bottom of the carb body.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:44 AM   #5

View Freez's Photo Gallery(0)

The clear tube is the easies way to check the floats. I just went thru the same thing last weekend. When I checked my raptors float levels they where 5 mm above the split. I set them to be on the split. Some people and a couple of Yamaha dealers say they should still be lower. 2 mm below the split was recommended to me by a guy that dyno raptors. The Yamaha manual say 3 - 4 mm below the split. I still don't know who is the right.

Another problem I had was that I could not get the floats to drop to the right level. I had to modify the little stopper on the back of the float. I got a file, and at a 45 degree angle removed some plastic from the little stopper. Now it does open all the way.

Another way the manual recommends to adjust the floats is by taking the carbs out. Remove the little bucket at the bottom of the carbs. If you turn the carbs at a 45 degree angel the floats should rest (just touch) on the needle valve. It should not compress the little spring in the needle valve, JUST touch. You will see when you move the carb between upright (normal way they are mounted) to a 45 degree angel they will stop moving when they touch the needle. When that happens measure it. The distance from the split to the top of the float should be 13 mm.

Now there is one thing that bothers me. Will the floats always read the same with pump gas? No matter what make? I am not so sure. The clear pipe method is therefore the best way to set the float level.

The best is download the manual on this forum. Then when you have it check section 7. They explain it real nice. Both the clear tube method and the other way.
Freez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:13 AM   #6

View 5150HARVEE's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by sixsixt
Check the carb sticky for adjusting the with a piece of clear tubing.
Maybe someone can do this step by step like the jetting thread of raptor carbs, that be kick a$$. Anyone?
5150HARVEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:02 AM   #7

You guys are just confusing me more. Someone post some pics because your talking about like 45 degree angles and stuff. This isn't complicated but I just dont want to mess it up. When you adjust the floats, what exactly to you take apart and when you say like names of parts, tell me what they look like so I have an idea. Like the plastic things, do I have to take them off to adjust the floats ? See I have no idea how to do this and you guys are just confusing me more.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:15 AM   #8

View Freez's Photo Gallery(0)

Sorry it may sound confusing. The best is to download the raptor manual from this forum. Check the raptor section, its a sticky at the top. This explains most of the things you need to know.

I don't have a digital camera, but will get one this weekend when I do the jets...so ill take some pics of the float levels and how to use the clear tube methode.

Its actually very easy to adjust it, but it takes a long time. You need to strip all the fenders of the bike, remove the airbox, then the carbs... and maybe some cables to, depending if you are happy to adjust them on the bike or not.
Freez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:25 PM   #9

Bike is coming apart on Friday ( tomorrow ) because Yoshi pipe is coming tomorrow . So I wanted to get everything done to it tomorrow and out of the way while I'm putting the pipe on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM660R Raptor (2001-2005)

Search tags for this page

raptor 660 float adjustment

raptor 660 float height

raptor 80 float level

raptor 80 carb adjustment

how to adjust floats on raptor 660

660 raptor float level

raptor 660 float level
raptor 80 carburetor adjustment
yamaha raptor 660 float height
yamaha 80 float adjustment
07 raptor 80 float height
float hight on a 2004 raptor 80
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.