Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

start button doesnt work.

This is a discussion on start button doesnt work. within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; hopefully someone can help me out. basically, the battery is fine. I can jump the solenoid and the bike starts right up. anyways, I thought ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #1

View 95sw21's Photo Gallery(0)
Default start button doesnt work.

hopefully someone can help me out.

basically, the battery is fine. I can jump the solenoid and the bike starts right up.

anyways, I thought it was the starter solenoid that was bad. I replaced it and it still doesnt work. So i figured it it was the actual button. I Replaced it and it still doesnt work.

after this, i pulled out my test light and my laptop. I found people talking about the main fuse. Well I found mine to be bad. I replaced it (which it did fix alot of the other issues with the bike) but the button still doesnt work. I found that its not getting power to the low current side of the relay (ground is good). I also checked the button (red wire) and it goes give power when pushed.

where should i go from here?
95sw21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #2

View cajohnson's Photo Gallery(0)

It could possibly be a bad nuetral sensor.. If the nuetral light is not coming on try grounding the wire that goes to the nuetral sensor by the foot shifter.. If this is the problem, the starter button should work with that wire grounded.
cajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #3

tried that and it didnt work. but fwiw, my neutral light does not work.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #4

View carsonmx114's Photo Gallery(0)

95sw,
I looked up a 91', I'm not sure what year your machine is. Your start button should send ground when you press it. You should have a ground signal on the Red/white wire from your start button to the soleniod. The blue/white at the soleniod is power that comes from the inhibit relay. The inhibit relay needs a signal from the CDI to let the machine start. this is a ground signal on the yellow/black wire. My guess is you're not getting a signal from the CDI because of a safety switch. Just jump the Brown and Blue/white wires at the inhibit relay and as long as you're getting ground from the start button it should start. Using a test light for this kind of troubleshooting can be tricky because your light may light up from the voltage passing through the soleniod and not because there's power there. In other words, you may not have power at the button, you may be seeing the power coming into the soleniod on the blue/white, traveling through the soleniod coil and then up the red/white to the button. It's not as complicated as it may sound, start at the button, look for a ground. If you're not getting a ground signal out that's your problem. If you are getting ground out of the button, it's your starter inhibit relay. hope this helps you.
carsonmx114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #5

i need to update this.
I took it out yesterday and the neutral light does infact work now. everything works except that stupid button! lol

carson,

thanks for the info. that helps alot! ill try to mess with it and see what happens next
Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #6

SW, Like I said thats from the 91' diagram so use with caution. If the colors look right and all use it. If your unit is different get me more details and I'll look up your exact model. I may be able to email you a diagram, if you need it PM me and I'll hook you up.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #7

Sw, I just noticed on the new units (I'm guessing 04 and up) the start button does supply positive voltage, not ground so I'm pretty sure most of the info I supplied you will be wrong! sorry. What year is your machine? I can post a diagram of your start circuit for you that may help you.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #8

i have a 94. so it still shouldwork.

I tried bypassing it and it still didnt work. so i need to spend a few hours and really mess with it
Old 02-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #9

We worked on a grizzly 600 yesterday that was the worse wiring mess I've seen in a while. I looked up the 94' for you. Brown wire at button should be positive from the key. Red/white wire from the button sends positive voltage to the inhibit relay. that voltage passes through the relay and turns to a blue/white wire that goes to the solenoid. The black wire at the solenoid is chassis ground. The inhibit relay is operated by the CDI through a ground signal on the Yellow/black wire. The CDI has to know that the machine is not in reverse as well, this is done by the black/yellow wire from the reverse switch to the CDI, it should have ground when not in reverse.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

yamaha 350 starts with main switch

what color wires go to the starter solenoid on a 350 warrior

yfz450 start button wont work

start button wont work on chinese quad

350 warrior inhibit relay

can i push start an atv with a bad cdi box
fourwheeler wont start with button
raptor 350 starter switch button
hooked up a battery turned the key and no power to the start button on a warrior 350
yamaha 350 warrior starter relay
yamaha grizzly 450 wont start
yfz450 neutral relay switch#gsc.tab
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.