Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

warrior starter clutch issues

This is a discussion on warrior starter clutch issues within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; So do bad things just constantly happen to just me or is anyone else with me? I have a warrior, it has now chewed up ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #1

View ranger29us's Photo Gallery(0)
sad warrior starter clutch issues

So do bad things just constantly happen to just me or is anyone else with me? I have a warrior, it has now chewed up 2 starter one ways in about 3 months. The clutch gets stuck on the gear and then will not release. It happened once so i replaced the one way sprag or clutch, what ever you want to call it and replaced the it rides on. thought everything was cool but it had other plans. It lasted a month or so and now has done the same thing. Is this common? or do i just have bad ju ju.
ranger29us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Crowd Control

Premium Member
View diggerzmound's Photo Gallery(14)

Not very common with the warrior. Did you replace the gear and the oneway? If you replaced both, you may have to look elsewhere. DOes the engine kick back into the starter alot? Could be a timing issue. Do you kill it often and start it in gear? This is said to be hard on the one way. Maybe your starter is getting weak and not keeping the oneway engaged during cranking..
94' Banshee T-5's, Vforce, ported, Cool Head, 2-1
06' Wolverine 450 - Stock!
06' LTZ 440
94' Vmax4 750, 96' 600 MountainMax
06' Vmax 1200
diggerzmound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #3

View BEASTLYWARRIOR228's Photo Gallery(0)

I had a 400ex that ate them like nothing but i ended up selling it before i could figure out why
Old 01-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #4

View ranger29us's Photo Gallery(0)

replaced gear and one way clutch. it does kick back some when its cold. Its a bear to start cold. starter is pretty new also. there is a heavy duty one that looks like it has different rollers and springs in it. guess will have to try it. only other option is to pull start it or build my own clutch using automatic trans parts(i have actually planned this out! haha)
ranger29us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

View 671warrior's Photo Gallery(0)

are you using stock parts like your starter and your gears?? when you deal with yamaha keep this in mind...if your going to upgrade one small part on something so critical...to save you headaches just upgrade the entire assembly....like if your going to upgrade you gears/cam for example then your pistons/valves/seals should be upgraded too...to get the most out of the your upgrade...its always like a domino effect when you change to aftermarket part with higher outputs....so check if your the orignal owner of the quad from dealer to you then it should be no problem...if you got aftermarket gears or even stock yamaha parts but just upgraded for more output then your entire bottom end should be the same....its pretty costly but its our POWERSPORT...good luck and hope you find a solution...the pull start sounds pretty good...but if anything i was thing of putting a banshee engine in mine...
671warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #6

View lanceclemmer's Photo Gallery(0)

i think i am having the somewhat of the same problem. When i crank the bike it is like the battery is dead, but it is not and i have it hooked up to a car battery. i later found out that the starter clutch doesn't seem to be disengaging and I'm not sure if this is the reason why it the bike isn't cranking like it should be... i don't know how to start a new thread so sorry if this is irrelevant.
lanceclemmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

yamaha warrior starter clutch problem

warrior 350 starter clutch

warrior starter clutch replacement
yamaha warriorv350 starter kickback
starter clutch yamaha warrior 350
yamaha woverine starter clutch problem
yamaha warrior cluth hook up
yamaha warrior 350 heavy duty one way starter bearing
replacing one way bearing yamaha warrior 350
yamaha warrior one way gear
where is the starter on a 87 yamaha warrior
yamaha warrior 350 starter clutch problems
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.