Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Starter is having trouble turning the motor - Its Struggling

This is a discussion on Starter is having trouble turning the motor - Its Struggling within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; Hello all, I'm new here and I'm hoping some of you may be able to help. I did the obvious which is to change the ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #1

View STR8OUT's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Starter is having trouble turning the motor - Its Struggling

Hello all, I'm new here and I'm hoping some of you may be able to help. I did the obvious which is to change the starter and that did absolutely nothing to fix my problem. I also tried jumping the terminals of the starter relay with a screwdriver and same thing... didnt help.

I bought this Warrior used and it had this problem when I bought it. The starter has a really tough time turning over the motor for some reason... It always starts after a while but there is something wrong here.

I took this video so that you could see what I mean... The starter sounds like its struggling and it'll turn the motor in a very erratic fashion. I took the cover off the left side of the motor so that you could see the motor turn over every 3 seconds... For some reason the starter has a lot of trouble turning the motor in the compression cycle. The new starter I bought was a cheap $50 ebay starter but this cant be the problem can it? Someone wouldnt mass produce an aftermarket starter that didnt work... Do they make a more powerful starter for our motors that you can point me to? The motor turns over and runs GREAT once its started but getting it started sucks.

STR8OUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #2

View dakotademon7's Photo Gallery(0)

Have you tryed jump starting it with cables? The battery could have a dead cell. If that don't work, check all the starter related wires to see if there in good shape and the connections are clean and tight. Does it smoke alot when it first starts? I've seen leaking carbs that load up the cylinder after sitting over night do the same thing.
dakotademon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by dakotademon7 View Post
Have you tryed jump starting it with cables? The battery could have a dead cell. If that don't work, check all the starter related wires to see if there in good shape and the connections are clean and tight. Does it smoke alot when it first starts? I've seen leaking carbs that load up the cylinder after sitting over night do the same thing.
Thank you for the reply, yep I tried jump starting it at the battery terminals before and after the new starter install and it does the same thing. I have not tried putting a jumper directly onto the starter positive though. Would that change anything if I tried that?

It doesn't smoke at all, the motor runs extremely strong and smooth once it fires up. You can easily turn the motor counter clockwise if you put a wrench on that bolt in the video so the motor is not seizing at all. I just can not figure this out for the life of me.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #4

View MidwayUSA's Photo Gallery(19)

One way starter clutch may be dragging somehow, or there could be some binding between the gears or a bearing out in the gear that drives the one way clutch.
MidwayUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #5

View dakotademon7's Photo Gallery(0)

You can try direct to the starter. If it spins over good that way, you know something is wrong between the battery and starter. If it doesn't spin over good, you will have to do some detective work. I would start by pulling the plug and see how it spins over. I would check the compression to see if someone had the head milled bumping the compression way up. Sometimes it's best to find out what's not wrong to lead you to what is wrong.I will keep an eye on this thread and help you the best I can.
dakotademon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #6

Tonight I will try the jumpstart directly to the starter trick...

If that doesnt work then it has to be something like you mentioned MidwayUSA. There is no grinding sound so I dont think the starter clutch is missing any gears or anything. But something could be binding or bent in there. I just cant figure it the heck out! I'd really hate to tear open the motor but I guess there is a first time for everything.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #7

View MidwayUSA's Photo Gallery(19)

The one way clutch is like a sprag in a transmission. Has these little dog bone looking metal parts in there. (Look like dog bones to me when they are turned on their side and looking from the end) They slide on the surface of the gear when it is turning one way and lock against the surface when turning the opposite direction. When the little dog bones get worn any number of strange things can happen. They usually make hellish noises, though. If yours makes no noise, then I would be looking at the teeth or the bearing on the gear that goes between the starter and the one way clutch.
MidwayUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #8

I just wanted to update this (since I hate when people dont lol).

It was the starter clutch (one way gear). It wasn't grabbing properly so it was just barely turning the engine when I tried starting it. I installed a new one and it turns perfect now.

Now I have another problem though, not getting spark lol

Last edited by STR8OUT; 10-18-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

starter motor struggling

starter motor struggles
atv struggles to turn over
raptor 660 hard to turn over
starter having trouble turning over
why my 2001 raptor 660 has hard time turning over
starter motor struggling to turn.alright once started
whats going on when my enition sounds like its strugling to turn over
what is wrong when the starter turns on a kawasaki 300 and doesn't grab
str8out wrx
rhino 660 hard time turning over
motorcycle starter motor smoking
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.