Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Have spark but still will not start

This is a discussion on Have spark but still will not start within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; 2000 warrior that I replaced both the stator and cdi to get spark and all seems good in the spark department now. I bought it ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #1

View thriller's Photo Gallery(0)
very pissed Have spark but still will not start

2000 warrior that I replaced both the stator and cdi to get spark and all seems good in the spark department now.

I bought it used from a guy who had just replaced the cylinder base gasket and it had not run since. Valve clearances seem right. Valve timing looked like it was about 1/2 tooth out but when I tried to go over one tooth the other way it was worse.

Pulled the bottom off the carb and removed the pilot and main jet and it all looked very clean.

When I go to start it if I pull out he choke (enricher valve) with every few turns of the bottom end it will seem like it almost fires but then will kick fuel out of the intake side of the carb and into the airbox without the air filter on. I have tried putting fuel down the plug hole and no success with it to even fire once.

Anyone run into this before?
thriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #2

View elwood's Photo Gallery(12)

since it has been tore down timing could be set 180degrees off
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by elwood View Post
since it has been tore down timing could be set 180degrees off
You are talking valve timing right?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #4

View elwood's Photo Gallery(12)

cam timing, the cam turns twice to one crank rotation, it might not have been timed on the compression stroke.

Last edited by elwood; 05-12-2011 at 01:42 PM.
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #5

Timing seems to be right. The valves have the clearance needed when the 3 marks are lined up but do not have any clearance when the cam is turned the extra 180 degrees.

I can not see how it would be that easy to line it up 180 degrees out as the valve springs would be putting pressure on the cam trying to turn the cam one way or the other if the valve clearances have been set already.

Also if the valve timing were out 180 degrees would not the line on the sprocket be lined up with the bottom end of the engine instead of the top mark on the head?

Last edited by thriller; 05-12-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #6

View milldawg_012's Photo Gallery(0)

Good points, I am having the same problems
milldawg_012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Crowd Control

Premium Member
View diggerzmound's Photo Gallery(14)

Double check the stator, If the trigger coil is out of specs it will be firing at the wrong time.
94' Banshee T-5's, Vforce, ported, Cool Head, 2-1
06' Wolverine - Stock!
06' Rhino 450
06' LTZ 440
94' Vmax4 750, 96' 600 MountainMax
diggerzmound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #8

View jpigg's Photo Gallery(0)

I've heard aftermarket pick up coils are sometimes wired wrong when assembled so polarity is reversed which can throw the timing off. Has anyone else run into this?
jpigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #9

View pineypowerwpww's Photo Gallery(0)

I am running in to the same problem with my 2001 It hasn`t been touched in like 2 year the stator went bad. Just replaced the stator and cdi has great spark but will not fire. spits fuel out the carb and tried to pop start it and just back fires out the exhaust. If I hold my hand over the exhaust it almost wants to fire sometimes. Also it has the powroll 430 kit on it I don`t think that would have anything to do with it but I am out of ideas. Timing looks like it is good can`t really see that being a problem cause I haven`t touched the timing since I did the 430 kit and the bike ran fine after that. Will the timing jump on it own from back firing?
pineypowerwpww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by pineypowerwpww View Post
I am running in to the same problem with my 2001 It hasn`t been touched in like 2 year the stator went bad. Just replaced the stator and cdi has great spark but will not fire. spits fuel out the carb and tried to pop start it and just back fires out the exhaust. If I hold my hand over the exhaust it almost wants to fire sometimes. Also it has the powroll 430 kit on it I don`t think that would have anything to do with it but I am out of ideas. Timing looks like it is good can`t really see that being a problem cause I haven`t touched the timing since I did the 430 kit and the bike ran fine after that. Will the timing jump on it own from back firing?

I gave up on mine after replacing cdi,stator,ignition coil,spark plug and checking timing and still couldn't get it running so I brought it in to a local shop. They have had it for over a month and still haven't fixed it yet but have determinded it's firing 45 degrees off and beleive it has to do with the wiring being reversed (red and white) on the trigger coil. What brand of stator did you go with?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #11

I gave up on mine after replacing cdi,stator,ignition coil,spark plug and checking timing and still couldn't get it running so I brought it in to a local shop. They have had it for over a month and still haven't fixed it yet but have determinded it's firing 45 degrees off and beleive it has to do with the wiring being reversed (red and white) on the trigger coil. What brand of stator did you go with?[/QUOTE]

That is interesting because when I put the timing light on mine to see when it is firing it will not show the firing mark through the bottom hole when the light flashes. I took the cover off to see the top cam sprocket and too see when it was firing. Mine looks to be firing close to 45 degrees before top dead center. I bought a flywheel puller just to make sure the flywheel key was were it should be and it is. I am still trying to figure it out. I bought my new stator from RMSTATOR.

Last edited by thriller; 06-30-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #12

I remember reading another thread on here quite a while ago regarding the reversed wiring on aftermarket trigger coils but can't find it. Anyways mine is also RM stator. I'm getting kind of impatient with this shop that's working on it. I think being there almost 6 weeks is a little long for being professionals. Hopefully I hear something soon. Someday I will get to ride this Warrior.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by jpigg View Post
I remember reading another thread on here quite a while ago regarding the reversed wiring on aftermarket trigger coils but can't find it. Anyways mine is also RM stator. I'm getting kind of impatient with this shop that's working on it. I think being there almost 6 weeks is a little long for being professionals. Hopefully I hear something soon. Someday I will get to ride this Warrior.

How long ago did you buy your stator? I bought mine about 3 months back. Could we just reverse the wiring externaly?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by thriller View Post

How long ago did you buy your stator? I bought mine about 3 months back. Could we just reverse the wiring externaly?
I'm pretty sure you just switch red and white around inside the connector on the left side middle of the machine where all connections for stator are located. I think they just pop out but I could be wrong since mine is not here to look at. There's only 2 wires to switch so you can't really go wrong. It's worth a try. I bought my stator/trigger coil about 6 months ago.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #15

I'm pretty sure you just switch red and white around inside the connector on the left side middle of the machine where all connections for stator are located. I think they just pop out but I could be wrong since mine is not here to look at. There's only 2 wires to switch so you can't really go wrong. It's worth a try. I bought my stator/trigger coil about 6 months ago.
Did yours ever run? I confirmed the timing today on a big bear quad and it was firing right before TDC, mine is firing about 40-45 degrees early.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #16

Did yours ever run? I confirmed the timing today on a big bear quad and it was firing right before TDC, mine is firing about 40-45 degrees early.
Unfortunatly not. I bought it cheap because it wasn't running cause it didn't have any spark. I replaced the stator first because the trigger coil ohm reading was out of spec so I decided to replace the whole thing. Still didn't have spark after that so replaced the cdi. Spark was good then but when trying to start the engine would backfire and blow smoke out of the carb. Also trashed my one-way cause it was kicking back so hard. After checking timing,valves,carb, etc... and still no luck I brought it in.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #17

View 1998yamahawarrior's Photo Gallery(3)

Have you guys checked grounds and all wiring connections. Few years ago I had a no start issue, replaced the ignition coil, pick up coil and still wouldnt go. Found out the little ground off the neg. cable, the bullet connector broke. It supplies some of the ground to the ignition coil, it was sparking just not hot enough to ignite the fuel.
1999 Warrior Lonestar +2 a arms, swinger, Durablue +2+4, Renthal bars,sprockets, ITP beadlocks, Trail Tech lights, DG skids, nerfs, bumper, PRM wide grab, Spider grips, CFM airbox, Uni, clutch cover cooler, Big Gun exhaust, Works Black Widow fronts
1998yamahawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #18

check your stator just checked mine and the pick up coil seems bad now But I still have great spark maybe that throwing off the timming.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #19

Hey has anyone been able to figure this out have spark, have compression, have timing. Changed out the stator from a running warrior and still got the same problem. Anyone got any ideas. This thing should fire right up what the hell. Any feed back tips anything before I junk my 2001 warrior
Old 07-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #20

leering RUNNING BIKE YAAAHHHH

Thanks a bunch I finally got it running. I switched the wires on the trigger coil you told me to switch (red and white) and the spark was at the right time. Not very happy with rmstator for selling me a new part that was wired incorrectly but very happy it is running now. You need to go got your bike from the shop and do the same thing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

banshee has spark but wont start

atv sparking but not igniting

yamaha 350 bruin sparks and fires once, will not stay running

yamaha warrior wont stay running

banshee has spark but wont fire

2005 raptor 350 has fire won't start

trigger for yamaha warrior
yamaha big bear 350 cranks but wont start
yamaha warrior not starting
spark not getting to spark plug in yamaha big bear 350
warrior has gas and spark but wont start
03 honda 300ex cranks but wont start
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.