Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

No Spark but will bump start

This is a discussion on No Spark but will bump start within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; as title says i got an 04 war needed a motor. i put an 01 lower end with a .20 over top end. the bike ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #1

View thatperson's Photo Gallery(0)
Default No Spark but will bump start

as title says i got an 04 war needed a motor. i put an 01 lower end with a .20 over top end. the bike has no spark when u try to start with button. but if you pop it she runs fine. and thing any1 can think. grnd wire maybe? starter clutch? how many grounds does the bike have? any info would be great would like to get it running under its own power today ty.
thatperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #2

View jgray44's Photo Gallery(0)

i think there is 4 grounds to the bike, dont konw where all four are though! just go through your wires and find all the grounds, take them off and clean them. test your stator and see what it ohms out at
jgray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #3

View 1998yamahawarrior's Photo Gallery(3)

only being able to pop start it is usually a sign that the pickup coil is out of the stator. If your trying to fix it on the cheap you can just replace that, but I recommend just replacing the whole stator.
1999 Warrior Lonestar +2 a arms, swinger, Durablue +2+4, Renthal bars,sprockets, ITP beadlocks, Trail Tech lights, DG skids, nerfs, bumper, PRM wide grab, Spider grips, CFM airbox, Uni, clutch cover cooler, Big Gun exhaust, Works Black Widow fronts
1998yamahawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #4

View elwood's Photo Gallery(12)

7 grounds total, test your stator like 98 said. If it's good then start clean grounnds and checking wires
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #5

View thriller's Photo Gallery(0)

so does anyone know where all the grounds are?
thriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #6

View elwood's Photo Gallery(12)

two grounds off the - battery with one of them going to the frame. one for the starter, one for the lever switch, one that comes off the cdi,one for the neutral switch, one for the reverse switch
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #7

ok found the spark issue (i think) my coil had a big crack in it (so i borrowed my friends from his 01). but still wouldnt start. so i took the stator cover and stator out to find it all oil soaked. is that normal? i cleaned it all out and dried it up and the bike tryed to start but still no start. took it up the hill and it popstarted. it dosnt get a constant spark either like 5sec after u hit switch it stops, and then sparks again just as u let off the button.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #8

View thriller's Photo Gallery(0)

Yes it is supposed to be oil soaked.
thriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #9

View 1998yamahawarrior's Photo Gallery(3)

Quote: Originally Posted by thatperson View Post
ok found the spark issue (i think) my coil had a big crack in it (so i borrowed my friends from his 01). but still wouldnt start. so i took the stator cover and stator out to find it all oil soaked. is that normal? i cleaned it all out and dried it up and the bike tryed to start but still no start. took it up the hill and it popstarted. it dosnt get a constant spark either like 5sec after u hit switch it stops, and then sparks again just as u let off the button.
At this point you really need to test the stator. How you say it will start pretty much any time you bump start it, thats almost a perfect indication that the pick up coil is shot on the stator.
1999 Warrior Lonestar +2 a arms, swinger, Durablue +2+4, Renthal bars,sprockets, ITP beadlocks, Trail Tech lights, DG skids, nerfs, bumper, PRM wide grab, Spider grips, CFM airbox, Uni, clutch cover cooler, Big Gun exhaust, Works Black Widow fronts
1998yamahawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #10

View atvredefined's Photo Gallery(0)

i have the same problem with an 01 except when its hot itl fire with the starter if its cold no spark unless bump started. idk if that happens to you or anyone?
atvredefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #11

View atvredefined's Photo Gallery(0)

or happened. didnt realize how old this was.
atvredefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #12

sry no reply in awhile been working got it figured out. the guy i bought lower end from lied said it was an 01. musta been first gen cause flywheel pick up spot was wayyyyy smaller than the 04 pick up spot. runs great now minus an accel pump issue wich imma change the spring.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:07 AM   #13

View STR8OUT's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by thatperson View Post
sry no reply in awhile been working got it figured out. the guy i bought lower end from lied said it was an 01. musta been first gen cause flywheel pick up spot was wayyyyy smaller than the 04 pick up spot. runs great now minus an accel pump issue wich imma change the spring.
Sorry to bring up and old thread but I am having the exact same issue with my bike.

I just swapped in a new starter clutch / flywheel already assembled and now my bike wont start. It wont spark when pressing the push button but if I put the rear wheels in the air and put the bike in second gear and spin the wheels by hand (push starting essentially) it will spark. I notice when I spin the rear wheels by hand, the crank spins faster than when the starter spins the motor. It shouldn't affect the sparking though.
STR8OUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #14

all i can say is check to make sure the pick-up spots on the flywheels are the same size and in same spot. the problem i had was the 1st gen has 2 little pick-ups on flywheel as my 04 has a very long 1.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

wolverine only has spark when pull start

my 04 warrior has no spark and wont start with the button but will start my pushing it off why?

why does raptor 660 have spark when bump starting

yamaha warrior will only pull start

engine will not get spark unless you bump start it

why will my 350 warrior only start by pop starting it

can i roll start my atv if i have no spark

raptor 350 cranks but wont start and will bumb starr

if your getting no spark can you start atv with pull chord
yamaha 350 warrior only has spark when you let off the start button
yamaha warrior will only start by being pulled
350 warrior wint start with switch, will pop start
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.