Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

1997 yamaha warrior 350 will not turn over at all

This is a discussion on 1997 yamaha warrior 350 will not turn over at all within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; OK..so here is the deal..when I was riding out in the woods...everything was running fine..all the sudden it bogged down like I had lost all ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

View firemedic373's Photo Gallery(0)
Default 1997 yamaha warrior 350 will not turn over at all

OK..so here is the deal..when I was riding out in the woods...everything was running fine..all the sudden it bogged down like I had lost all power and died...after repeated attempts to restart the bike...absolutely nothing..the only sound it made was the starter spinning...no muffler noise or even a puff of life

so I was towed back to the house..and have literally been over every inch of this bike..here is the things that I have checked:

-spark plug replaced- good blue spark when grounded to motor
-spark plug cap (tested at 0 ohm..replaced with brand new one)
-every wire gone over and checked and dielectric applied after cleaning
-brand new battery fully charged
-crankcase taken off and flywheel, idler gear..etc checked visually...no obvious signs of damage or metal shavings in the oil or case)
-stator tested (276 and 506 ohm)
-starter relay bypassed and still nothing
-ignition coil primary and secondary tested within limits per manual
-starter spins fast..no clunking or other sounds
-valves-intake/exhaust were both gapped at the proper specs in the manual

I have run out of ideas..if anyone out there has had a similar experience or has any ideas about possible causes...please..any advice would be great

thanks in advance

Last edited by firemedic373; 04-06-2011 at 09:31 PM.
firemedic373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #2

View jgray44's Photo Gallery(0)

do you have any compression?
jgray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #3

View camper4lyfe's Photo Gallery(0)

So it does turn over, as you can test for spark. The engine itself is free to turn, correct? It just doesn't attempt to fire.

Have you checked your carb? Seems you're looking for something in the engine, but may have gotten a bit of crud in your carb and it's plugged up.
camper4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #4

View elwood's Photo Gallery(12)

will it bump start?
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #5

it will not bump start..tried that when it first happened when i was being towed

compression checks out fine per manual specs

correct it does not seem to want to fire..starter button works every time..the engine does turn freely without any rough or metal noises..the carb is certainly worth a second look..but I didn't find anything wrong the first time I went through it...but at this point I am at a loss and I am willing to try anything

ill give the carb another going over this weekend...but other then that I am truly confused...I don't want to give up..but it may be time for an expensive trip to the shop

thanks for all the advice..if anyone can think of anything else..please dont hesitate to offer your opinion
Old 04-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #6

hit it with some starting fluild in the plug hole, if it's not getting gas it should fire up for a sec.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #7

well..the carb was cleaned better then a babies ass...I even gave this wench a full tank of super unleaded and still absolutely no change

I am seriously starting to think it is the starter clutch..I know warriors have a horrible history with them going out all the time

but does a bad starter clutch actually make a 4 wheeler just all the sudden lose all power and shut down?or could it more likely be a cdi?

either way probably just gonna take the cdi to the shop and have them test it for me to verify that it is good or bad...other then that the beer is no longer working and my frustration is about to boil over and she is about to take a trip over a cliff

thanks again for the advice..never hurts to double check anything
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #8

Have you checked your fuel line? Maybe the petcock got plugged with something? What you've said just doesn't add up. You've got spark and compression. The next step is fuel. Try some starting fluid in the plug hole and see if it'll try to fire. If it does, you've definitely got a fuel delivery problem.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #9

I checked and blew the lines out...if it was a fuel problem then I wouldn't think that the carb bowel would have fuel in it if it was a fuel issue...am I wrong?

either way Ill check and post my results
Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #10

Never hurts to double check.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #11

so..I went out and checked the petcock..other then a couple specks...clean as a whistle

I am honestly not thinking this is a fuel issue...it just didn't act like a fuel problem when it literally just acted like either a dead battery or an electrical failure

the bad thing is the kid who owned this bike before me..has more spliced wires on this bike then I have ever seen...but they all seem to be testing good on the open end

I have no idea..is this bike even worth running all new wires? I know its gonna be a personal opinion..but cash wise...is it going to be worth it?

anybody wanna trade a wave runner for it..lol..I love toys but this is b.s...with a capital B
Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #12

If it was the starter clutch, it would bump start. you can pick up a good wiring harness on ebay if you think that's the problem. I am pretty sure to test the cdi you have to test every other electrical conponite 1st then its when that's all that is left replace it. Here is a link to a pdf manual start on page 290 it will walk you through testing all elecrical. An easier way is if you know someone with a warrior swap cdi to see if that is what is wrong. 1997-2001 have the same cdi http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2919391/warrior.pdf

Last edited by elwood; 04-08-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #13

unfortunately I don't know of anyone around here who has another warrior in that year range

I found a new wire harness assembly from cheapcyleparts.com for $160..seems pretty reasonable price compared to other online shops

even if it doesn't turn out to be a wiring problem at least I will have good power all over the bike and not have to worry about that "mystery wire" that always seems to spring up when you are on the trails running hard

thanks so much everybody for all the great advice..if anyone can think of anything else I could check..please don't hesitate to drop a line and give your opinion
Old 04-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #14

View $nowman's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by firemedic373 View Post
unfortunately I don't know of anyone around here who has another warrior in that year range

I found a new wire harness assembly from cheapcyleparts.com for $160..seems pretty reasonable price compared to other online shops

even if it doesn't turn out to be a wiring problem at least I will have good power all over the bike and not have to worry about that "mystery wire" that always seems to spring up when you are on the trails running hard

thanks so much everybody for all the great advice..if anyone can think of anything else I could check..please don't hesitate to drop a line and give your opinion
I had a similiar problem with mine where i thought it was the CDI or the carb, i Pulled the cdi out cleaned the connections inspected for any cracks or damage, took it in the house out of the cold for a couple days plugged it in and hooked up a tm36 pumper carb and low and behold it puffed back to life after 5 months and 2 mechanics later... if you have access to another carb try it.
$nowman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

yamaha warrior wont turn over

1998 yamaha warrior 350 wont turn over
yamaha warrior 350 will not start
350 warrior wont turn over
starter clutch removal 97 yamaha warrior
warrior 350 wont turn over
1997 yamaha warrior fuses
yamaha warrior wont crank
yamaha warrior will not turn over
my electric start wont work or even make a clicking sound on my yamaha warrior 350
yamaha warroir engine will not turn over at all
1998 yamaha warrior wiring harness
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.