Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Help? No spark and new stator

This is a discussion on Help? No spark and new stator within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; I have a 2002 warrior. It would not start when using the starter. It will turn over but will not fire at all. Pulled the ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #1

View Forgie's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Help? No spark and new stator

I have a 2002 warrior. It would not start when using the starter. It will turn over but will not fire at all. Pulled the spark plug out and I have no spark. I tried pop starting it and it fires right up. As soon as it starts I can shut it right back off and start it back up using the starter...... Well I was told it was the stator so I put in a new one and I still have no spark. I contacted the guy I got it from he said it may have been bad so he sent another one. Still no spark.

Does the CDI box have anything to do with spark?
Forgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #2

View elwood's Photo Gallery(12)

I'd check all the wiring before replacing more stuff that might not need to be replaced
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #3

View Forgie's Photo Gallery(0)

I've looked everything over and can't find any loose wires or bare spots. I have even unplugged everything and plugged them back in. Is there any way to test the CDI to see if its good.
Forgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #4

View elwood's Photo Gallery(12)

make sure all your grounds are clean and tight, I think there is 4 of them. You can't test the cdi, what you have to do is test everything else and make sure they all test good. Have you tested your coil when it's hot and cold. you should test your stator hot and cold also. It maybe in spec when it's hot but not when cold, and vise versa.. your cdi is the same in 2002-2004 warriors and 2004-2009 raptor 350. If you know someone with one of those machines you can swap the cdi and see if that is whats wrong.
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #5

View mattcrue's Photo Gallery(0)

if you find out what it is could you post it on here mine does the same thing
mattcrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #6

View plowboy442's Photo Gallery(0)

i also have the same problem on my 07 350 raptor, my neutral sensor went out so i had to cross it to start , it started then road around a while and killed it went back to it and tried to start - then the starter started sounding ruff so i took it off had some new brushes put in , put it back on and then no spark, took it ti the yamaha dealer and had them diagnose it , said it was the stator , start relay , and cylinoid, and they wanted a grand to fix it, granite 320.00 was parts, but tried to charge that much for something that takes so little time, any how i bought the stator and neutral switch and installed myself - still no spark , now what, i do not know how to check the coil or stator i also ordered the deal that looks like a little amp on the front by the coil, waiting for it to come in, any help, i read about four grounds where are they
plowboy442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #7

i also tried pull starting-nothing , and installed a new battery
Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #8

View carsonmx114's Photo Gallery(0)

The start relay and the soleniod are the same part, and if your motor turns over neither one is bad. Could be the stator, or the CDI. The newer style CDIs like yours don't give much trouble though. Did the brushes fix your ugly sounding starter? I'm wondering if the starter bearing or reduction gears went down and damaged your stator. The coils don't fail much either. The newer 660s and 700s have a anti rotational coil in the stator that keeps the ignition from firing when the engine kicks back on shutdown, this is designed to keep from damaging the oneway bearing. I don't remember if the raptor 350 has this or not. I fixed a 700 rhino the other day that the customer was just riding along and it died. the pulser was working but the anti rotation coil read out of spec. A new stator fixed it.
carsonmx114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

yea the brushes fixed the starter, he said that a peace of the magnet was broke off one corner, i replaced the stator last night and no difference, motor will not turn over by the start button , i ordered the neutral switch down by the shifter ain't got it yet but it will not turn over by pulling the clutch in and hitting the start button either, i can only whirl it over by crossing the cylinoide, im not sure how to check the coil and stuff but i do have an ohm meter, i did take the ground and the orange wires off the coil and what i found is the ground is hot when the orange is not hooked up, and the orange is hot when the ground is not hooked up, but if u hook both where they go no power to orange , and nothing to ground????? is this normal
Old 02-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #10

i went ahead and ordered another rectifier as well, not sure what they do but i got one lol
where can i get a repair manual to learn how to check and repair this kind of stuff
Old 02-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #11

If you're buying all these parts from a Yamaha dealer they may be willing to burn you a DVD copy of the service manual, I do it for my good customers. Or at least print you out the flow chart for troubleshooting the ignition system. Some shops are funny about it and won't help you at all but maybe your shop will help you out. Whatever you do don't jump 12v to the coil! old cars with points used to work this way and every once is a while I'll see a coil that has had this done to it. You can tell because it splits them down the middle. Your meter is probably picking up residual voltage passing through the CDI. The orange wire will get a quick, low voltage AC pulse on it that your meter probably won't pick up unless you have a peak voltage adaptor on it. An old school analog meter would do a better job for you than the more common digital meter.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #12

yea my yamaha dealer told me what was wrong and charged 100 bucks and iv changed those parts they said and nothing has changed i will never take them anything else i was okay with the diagnosis price was told thirty minutes but got an hour , said the stator , relay, and cylinoid was bad and wanted to charge 700.00 for labor it took thirty minutes to do it all and i may be over a few minutes so why do shops do that , i would rather someone that knows exactly what to check do it, but man thats just ripping people i mean hard, what happens if u charge the battery with a truck and cross the cylinoide
Old 02-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #13

where are u located i need a good mechanic that's not going to lie or over price, im not illiterate on parts or how long it takes to put them on as i work on alot of stuff, and i am going to be getting more quads, and dirt bikes and i do think u for the knowledge that u are sharing
Old 02-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #14

View RyanWright's Photo Gallery(0)
pissed Hello Guys i have a Question for who ever can tell me whats wrong here

My girl friend has a 2004 YFM350 Rapter, Well we went to the store one day and then we came back Right there together would be a 5 mile round trip. The next day we went to start it No spark what so ever So i Thought Hmm ok the Stator, Got the new one installed it Still no spark Tested the CDI Box on my dad's 2002 Yamaha Warrior his quad started right up So CDI And Stator are just fine i tested the Stator with a Ohm Reader setting on my multi Tester i got all good Readings And i just dont get it. I even tested the Stator Wuith a Multimeter and turned over the Engine Nothing not one Volt but it has Resistance from the Stator. WTF im so annoyed Whats the issue??? The Stator is not producing any power what so ever and it brand new and nothing is wrong with it.
RyanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #15

Plowboy, I was reading back over your original post. Your spark issue started after your starter trouble. Did you try to jump/boost off the battery when you first had the starter trouble? If so I'd suspect the CDI is the trouble. It's ok to use jumper cables on atv's but you never want to have the vehicle your hooked to running. Also steer clear of chargers with booster settings. I just use a car battery with jumper cables for boosting machines in the shop. I'm downloading a 07' manual now to look for posible check points on both of your machines. I'll post back in a few.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #16

Default rapor ignition trouble

this is a simple system that generates it's own voltage to operate. It looks like there is battery voltage through the main fuse to the CDI on a red wire so check for that first. The source coil is in with the stator, it's the red and white/green wires. These wires should have a fairly high amount of AC volts on them when you spin the motor, I'm thinking around 100 volts. The pulser, or crank trigger is the blue and the yellow wires, they should have considerably less voltage on them because they're just a pulse each time the pickup passes the coil, around 5 volts AC. Something else to check is the black/white wire for ground, if I manage to attach the pic I'm trying to attach you can see that when the key or the run switch is off the black/white wire shorts out the system. I remember once years ago when I first started at the dealership where I am now I inherited a no spark job on a timberwolf, the tech before me had put on a coil, a stator, and a cdi unit...still no spark. Turns out that the plastic cover was missing from the ignition key and the contacts inside the key had corroded to the point that the black/white wire was staying grounded even when the key was on. I've started now when I troubleshoot a system like this just unpluging the key and jumping the red and brown wires with a jumper to make sure the black/white wire is out of circuit and eliminate the main switch as a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ignition.jpg (98.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #17

yea the truck was running , and after that i put a charger on it , and put it on boost , ill check the wires as you said and then i will take the cdi over to a friends and see if he has something i can put it on to see if it is good or not
Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #18

i changed the cdi and rectifire and coil, still nothing
Old 02-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #19

View BlueBloodInTheVeins's Photo Gallery(0)

Check to see if your Spark plug cap is screwed onto the wire tight
Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #20

View RyanWright's Photo Gallery(0)

What is a Wake up wire? I was Told by a 30 Experience mechanic that's the problem for my girl Friends YFM350 He said that the Stator needs Power from the C.D.I. at leas 1.5V to Get the Stator Woken up before the Stator its self can Actually Generate Electricity. And i tested it on my dads Quad his Send 1.5 to the Stator my Girl Friends Quad send's Nothing at all to the Stator.
RyanWright is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

will a bad stator cause no spark

2007 yamaha 350 no fire
no spark on 2007 yamaha grizzly 350
older kawaski 450 motor no spark
350 warrior no spark unless pull off
2002 yamaha warrior stator 350 price
350 raptor cdi
raptor 350 with no spark to the spark plug
dirty stator cause no spark?
testing yamaha warrior stator
2000 yamaha warrior 350 cdi stator problems
grizzly yamaha no spark cold but spark hot
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.