Blue Traxx Forum banner

Yamaha Warrior Won't Start

33K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  VJR021 
#1 · (Edited)
So basically, I bought a 1999 Yamaha Warrior for $700 the other day and I was told it has a "bad ground." Well so far I have cleaned her up a lot and I went out and got a new battery, spark plug and cleaned up the wires a bit. So yesterday, I charged the battery and put it in, but when I go to start, it makes a clicking noise. I'm guessing it's the solenoid. Please help me out here!

#2 ·
take the seat off and on the rear left side fender is the soleniod. the positive battery wire goes to it. take a screwdriver and jump the 2 post on it with the key on and switch in the run position. If it starts I would change the soleniod. also while your by the soleniod there is a fuse down there, you should check that and make sure it's good.

#6 ·
Well I'm sending the quad to a buddy of mine to get it checked out, anyway, when I have it running, the choke is pulled out and it causes a lot of smoke. When I push it in, the engine stalls. What do you suggest this is?

#9 ·
i bought a 93 warrior 350 it ran good for a while and the first day i took it out on the trails and opened it up it went fine till top of 5th gear into 6th then shut down now it wont start it turns over ,,, i replaced the starter and batt and the relays cleaned carbs dunno plz help

#10 ·
flridda.....Do you have spark? If you're not sure check for that first if not then it sounds like to me you have the same problem I just got done fixing on my 2000 Warrior. Your gonna need a multimeter to ohm out the leads coming from the stator. Take off the rear plastic and clip a couple zip straps to make it easier. There will be a bundle of wires under the left side of the plastic. One plastic plug I believe has 3 white wires coming & going out of, don't worry about those. The other two plugs have 2 wires coming in and going out. I don't remember the color combo but they are the only ones with 2 wires going in and out so it's not hard to figure out. Unplug the wires and ohm out the leads that go back to the stator. If you get zero or open on your meter you have a bad stator and no matter what you do you won't have spark to fire. It's not bad to replace if you are good with tools you'll be fine. If not find someone who is to help you and you'll be fine. I did mine in around 3 hours but would have been done sooner if I would have sprayed the bolts with PB Blaster the night before. There is also a video on youtube that shows how to do it and also gives you the ohm readings you should be getting if the stator is good. It's what made me decide to do it myself instead of calling in favors from my other quad riding buddies.

#12 ·
Alright I just traded my YZ125 that needed a top end for this 88 warrior, def. Needed a starter so bought one of eBay it came with a new solenoid as well put em on hoping it'd fire right up, nope, it just keeps cranking and cranking, checked timing its dead on, haven't adjusted valves yet don't have feeler gauges, has spark, but kinda weak? So got a new spark plug last night so it might work haven't tried? But hoping its something easy and stupid, could the motor not be getting gas? Carb def. Is pulled the gas line to it and there's gas going in? Kinda stumped

#14 ·
On my warrior, I just rebuilt the top end and had the same problem you did raptor rider. I replaced the relay and the starter and it fired right up, my question to all of you is that I had a rip in the carb boot, so it wouldn't start. Then I taped over it just to make it home, and now the hole is bigger and it won't start. I haven't touched anything, so my only guess is that it's the reason, but it struggled to turn over when all the air is coming in, then when I put my hand over the hole, it turned over fine but didnt start. Is it possible it is actually the rip in the carb boot??

#15 ·
I have a 1990 warrior that turns over by push button but wont start. It will start by poping the clutch. I had the carb rebuilt the timing checked valves checked and all computers tested. Got it stared after that and runs great. It starts when wormed up but not when its cold. Any suggestions?

#18 ·
please help! i got a 1997 yamaha warrior and when i go to start it, it makes a clicking noise. how do i know if its the solenoid or the starter? the odd time it will start up from the electric start but now most of the time it just clicks. please help, i dont know which part to buy :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.