Ok, I started off with my 2001 Warrior which is pretty much bone stock other than exhaust. The donor bike was a 1993 EX500 bought from craigslist for $300 running and driving, no title so it was a perfect match.
Here is the build:
I started by removing some of the front mid and lower frame rails, this took alot of strength out so I put in some 1/4x4 flat bar to help. I know it weighs alot but strength is key!
Welding the A-Arm upper supports together left to right
Here is a pic after the down bars were cut out and the top backbone's were cut
Here is the end result of the front motor mounts and frame restructure
Rear motor mounts made from the 1/4" flat bar
To reconnect the upper front and rear frame I used 7/8th solid round bar ran throught the front frame. The frame is almost all 1" round pipe so the 7/8ths fit well. The rails are some thick 3/4" pipe saddled over the old upper frame rails with 5/32nd holes all the way through the 7/8ths, this is where a pin will be placed to hold the rails on but will not be holding any force since everything is saddled on the 7/8ths round bar (removable rails incase the motor blows, I dont want to have to cut the damn thing out!)
For the rear I used the 7/8ths again and old upper frame rail slid over the 7/8ths, 5/32nd holes and pins with 1/4" plate gussets
As far as the plastics go, the rear did need about 1" trimmed off at the very front, to clear the rear top frame rails, and the very bottom of the seat needed trimmed about 3/4", just pulled the staples, cut, and restapled and it turned out great!
The front needed 2 holes drilled for the front frame rails, I left the rails long on purpose for a possible headlight mount?
The radiator is still in the works, I cut out the upper bars to the bumper and I think this is a good spot for it, I haven't put in any mounts or restrengthened this yet (hopefully I never smack something hard or bye bye radiator!) The fenders were trimmed a bit along with the hood to help make it look more stock.
I bought new sprockets for both front and rear, put a 50 in the back and found out its too big to run my skid plate and was only around 2" off the ground so I swapped hub's and taller tires from the wife's blaster for a test fit, will need to figure out the skid plate though...
Getting the sprockets straight was extremely easy with this motor
The EX500 uses dual CV carbs, a big pain if you modify the air box, I met a guy that ran one as a drag bike and used a similar set up made from PVC and cone filters, mine will run out each side just above case, I hope they arn't in the way of my legs, if so it will SUCK and I'll have to figure something out
The only thing left is to figure out the radiator, I want to make it fit somewhere nice, not look like a bike that was just thrown together and a gas tank. The carbs are gravity fed but I dont have alot of room ontop of the motor any more, but do have plenty infront of the battery, but this means I need a fuel pump. My dad took a look and said maybe a rat rod style KegTank where the stock headlight goes. I'm not sure yet.
Please let me know if you have any comments or questions, I build this bike from the ground up in house so know pretty much everything about it. - Thanks for looking! - Jon