Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Desperate for help, bought lemon on Craigslist

This is a discussion on Desperate for help, bought lemon on Craigslist within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; I recently purchased a 08 Raptor 350 off Craigslist for my son's birthday. Huge mistake, and huge disappointment to my son, so now just trying ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #1

View mwatv's Photo Gallery(0)
unhappy Desperate for help, bought lemon on Craigslist

I recently purchased a 08 Raptor 350 off Craigslist for my son's birthday. Huge mistake, and huge disappointment to my son, so now just trying to recover. Seller said the only thing it needed was brake pads. After 3 trips to the shop, including a top end job, it still is not running. The latest problem happened when my son got about 4 miles down the road, it started cutting out and died. After the 2nd time it would not re-start for him. When I got there, it started, but bogged down when I tried to give it any gas and died. Tried it a few days later, it will not even start now. It has plenty of gas, and the gas tank vent tube is clear. I have lost faith in my local shop, and really do not want to get several more hundred dollars tied up from a dealer shop, just want to get it running well enough to trade to a dealer (with full disclosure). Greatly appreciate any suggestions on where to begin. And if anyone would like a project for $1950, I can fix them up;) Thanks for your help.
mwatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Primo Member

Premium Member
View leveldrummer's Photo Gallery(0)

first i would pull the carb and clean it, make sure everything is in working order, especially the jets, and the needle valve...

the carb may just be coated in crap from sitting for a very long time...

sure sucks that your son isnt enjoying his new toy, hope we can help ya get it rolling...
leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #3

View david6789's Photo Gallery(0)

I totally agree.

I would pull the carb and clean the hell out of it. there are videos on this site if you need help:

Carb rebuild vid

Also if the Raptor was sitting for more then a few months I would dump out all the old gas. Spend a little extra and get atleast 91 octane. Pull the spark plug and tell us the color.

Your Spark Plug should look a light chocolate brown in color. If black and sooty the engine is running too rich. If black and shiny (oily) it is oil fouled. If its whitish you are running too lean a fuel mixture and/or wrong ignition timing.

1996 Yamaha Warrior (currently being rebuilt)
BMS 150cc Quad (Son's)
SSR 110cc Dirt Bike (Son's)
david6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Primo Member

Premium Member
View leveldrummer's Photo Gallery(0)

with it being an 08, and a raptor 350, i seriously doubt anything is very wrong with the bike, these engines are very very dependable, and unless its just totally beat to hell (you would be able to tell from the body of the bike) there is a very good chance it was just simply neglected and its been sitting for a while... give it a little love and consider keeping it.

sorry to hear about the top end rebuild, unless the guy rode the piss out of it 24/7, i doubt the bike even needed it...
leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #5

View 06vmax's Photo Gallery(0)

My sons friend has an 07 that he rides daily, beats the crap out of, and does zero maintenance to. The carrier and wheel bearings are smoked, as are the sprockets and chain. The engine still runs like a swiss watch! Don't get too discouraged, I doubt your problem is too severe. Start with the simple things.. clean carb, fresh fuel, check compression and timing, and make sure you have a good spark at the plug.
06vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #6

View mwatv's Photo Gallery(0)

Thanks for the info, I'll get a carb kit ordered today. Glad to hear there may be hope to turn this back into a reliable ride.
mwatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #7

View outkastjoe's Photo Gallery(0)

How about the rubber intake boot. Have you checked that for cracks or tears. I a tear in mine and it left me stranded in the desert for a couple hows last summer. Finally figured it out and put some tape over it to get me home.
02 Blast 90 (Hetrick pipe, Clutch mods,Uni filter)
06 Nissan Armada
outkastjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

craigslist quads

bought a lemon on craigslist

craigslist ohio atv

craigslist yamaha quads
yamaha atv craigslist
craigslist yamaha atv
quads on craigslist
is there a lemon law on quads on craigslist?
craigslist lemon
yamaha raptor on craigslist
are lemon laws on atv craigslist
craigslist atv
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.