Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Putting piston back in cylinder...

This is a discussion on Putting piston back in cylinder... within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; Do I need to use a piston ring compressor, or will I be able to just slide it in the head/jug/cylinder? Going to get the ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #1

View xJoey Dubsx's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Putting piston back in cylinder...

Do I need to use a piston ring compressor, or will I be able to just slide it in the head/jug/cylinder?
Going to get the red and white quad back together tonight, and need to know..
thanks guys.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #2

View mike75925's Photo Gallery(0)

if you have a good bore/piston/rings it will not slide together. you can use a ring compressor, a larger hose clamp (provided it's wide enough to cover all the rings) or you can use a popcicle stick to push the rings in. pushing the rings in can be a pain if you don't orient your mind to it. at the ring gap, hold one side in. with your free hand, start walking that hand away from the other one, gently pushing the ring in and pushing gently down on the piston/cylinder. depending on how tight your parts are, i suggest installing the piston into the cylinder before installing the piston on the rod. i leave the wrist pin fully accessible. i've had bore jobs come back where the piston will not simply slide through the cylinder. on those, i definitely load the piston into the cylinder first.
mike75925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #3

View bomber315's Photo Gallery(0)

im confused on how the hell you guys are doing what you say... you must have the motor completelty out of the fourwheeler??

anytime i have every done this sort of thing on a fourwheeler i couldnt use a ring compresser because you have to slide the cylinder onto the piston not the piston DOWN into the cylinder
bomber315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #4

bomber, i load the piston into the bottom of the cylinder. granted pulling the engine on most atvs is fairly simple and straight forward, it normally isn't so on a motorcycle.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #5

right so if your sliding the piston into the cylinder from the bottom you cant use a ring compresser... or at least not one that i have every seen
Old 09-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #6

bomber, i take the piston in hand and load it into the cylinder. i could use a compressor if i wanted, but my fingernails work pretty good on the rings. i take the piston/cylinder assembly and slip it in over the block, locate the rod to piston and start pushing in the piston pin. slip the circlip in place and seat the cylinder. on a honda goldwing, a conventional ring compressor will not work as you will not be able to get it out afterwards. a hose clamp of corresponding size works great and is small enough to retrieve once undone.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #7

yeah ok i see what your doing... thats just not the exact way i do it... guess it doesnt matter which way you do it..
Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #8

View LBJAMM's Photo Gallery(0)

I made a wooden block out of a small piece of plywood in a u shape and put it around the rod under the piston and use my finger to compress the rings while sliding the cylinder down. It holds the piston real well. Just my .02 cents.
'99 Warrior,JE 366 10.5:1,Full Flight +2 a-arms,Tusk +4 axle,Webcams .390,CFM w/ K&N,Edelbrock,Pro-Circuit T-4,YZ250 shifter,PRM nerfs,Pro-taper SE,CarlisleITP Bajas, GBC XC Masters,p&p,skids,Motion Pro,Spider grips,and lots of MONSTER...
'06 YFZ450..too much to list
LBJAMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #9

View 366warrior's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by LBJAMM View Post
I made a wooden block out of a small piece of plywood in a u shape and put it around the rod under the piston and use my finger to compress the rings while sliding the cylinder down. It holds the piston real well. Just my .02 cents.
the repair manual also recomends the u shaped block trick. seems pretty simple.
366warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #10

LB, do you have yours on a lift when you do a top end? it would make it easier to see where the ring is sticking out. i install the way i do, mainly because my dad showed me the way you guys are talking. when you have to bend over, crane your neck and/or walk from this side to that of the atv to find the hangup, it is far simpler to pre load the piston. eliminates say 2/10 minutes of work time depending on how tight the bore is.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #11

View xJoey Dubsx's Photo Gallery(0)

We were going to use a Hose Clamp, but realized we didnt need to.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #12

View LBJAMM's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by mike75925 View Post
LB, do you have yours on a lift when you do a top end? it would make it easier to see where the ring is sticking out. i install the way i do, mainly because my dad showed me the way you guys are talking. when you have to bend over, crane your neck and/or walk from this side to that of the atv to find the hangup, it is far simpler to pre load the piston. eliminates say 2/10 minutes of work time depending on how tight the bore is.

No, I don't even own a lift, but my knees get sore sometimes lol
'99 Warrior,JE 366 10.5:1,Full Flight +2 a-arms,Tusk +4 axle,Webcams .390,CFM w/ K&N,Edelbrock,Pro-Circuit T-4,YZ250 shifter,PRM nerfs,Pro-taper SE,CarlisleITP Bajas, GBC XC Masters,p&p,skids,Motion Pro,Spider grips,and lots of MONSTER...
'06 YFZ450..too much to list
LBJAMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

how to put cylinder back on snowmobile piston.

ring compresser for atvs

putting pistons on three cylinder

how to get the piston back into the cylinder on an air compressor

get piston into snowmobile cylinder

raptor 660 how to check piston to cylinder
how to get pistons back in heads yamaha virago
puting a new piston in my atv
how to install a piston in the cylinder cylinder
87 hond motorcycle with rod hanging out the block
350 warrior cylinder install
how to install new cylinder and piston in honda atv
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.