Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

warrior smoking

This is a discussion on warrior smoking within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; Hey guys i have spent a while reading old posts and still unsure of my problem. its an 2002 warrior got it dirt cheap from ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #1

View epflynn's Photo Gallery(0)
Default warrior smoking

Hey guys i have spent a while reading old posts and still unsure of my problem. its an 2002 warrior got it dirt cheap from a guy with money troubles, i took carb off and totally cleaned everything with carb cleaner and compressed air i got it running nice, it fires right up no problems the problem is @ idle there is no smoke @ all but when i throttle it up i feel like james bond with smoke screen i fills the garage qick, it sounds and runs fine but smokes like hell. should i redo the whole top end or is it the valve seals, the spark plug is black and oilly,the bike did sit for quite awhile. also there is an fmf megamax pipe but not sure if they jetted it, any help would be great.
epflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #2

View aces atv repair's Photo Gallery(0)

aces here if you did the top end you need to do a leak down test on the engine with the engine on top dead center on the comp. stroke what that does is presureize the cylinder with air and you can hear air leaking in the exhaust or crankcase or intake if the seals are bad on the valve guides most of the time it will only smokefor a little bit when first started
maybe this will help you thanks aces
aces atv repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #3

View userfriendly's Photo Gallery(0)

sounds like bad rings, or bad valve seals, or cracked head gasket
userfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #4

View warriorman2003's Photo Gallery(0)

rule out head gasket, warriors are air cooled not water, so that wouldnt cause the smoking. you need new rings and a valve job sounds like. what you might try is change the oil and filter. mine smoked because the oil was real old, i changed oil and filter and it quit smoking. do that and see what happens. also, put 1/4 can of the RESTORE for 4 cylinders ( 1/4 for 1 cylinder). that helps to seal the rings and stop smoking. good luck!

if none of this works, then u need to do a top-end job, *dont replace piston and rod (unless it needs it)* just rings and valve seals and new head gasket.
warriorman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #5

View bomber315's Photo Gallery(0)

how much have you ran it? is it possible that there is a ton of oily crap in the exhaust from the previous owner? does it smoke at all on cold start up? (generally bad valve seals will show signs of smoke on startup, not while revving it up) is there too much oil in it? you can do the other things everyone else already said but honestly if i were you i would ride it a bit first and see if it cleans up (providing you havent already rode it around)
bomber315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by warriorman2003 View Post
rule out head gasket, warriors are air cooled not water, so that wouldnt cause the smoking. you need new rings and a valve job sounds like. what you might try is change the oil and filter. mine smoked because the oil was real old, i changed oil and filter and it quit smoking. do that and see what happens. also, put 1/4 can of the RESTORE for 4 cylinders ( 1/4 for 1 cylinder). that helps to seal the rings and stop smoking. good luck!

if none of this works, then u need to do a top-end job, *dont replace piston and rod (unless it needs it)* just rings and valve seals and new head gasket.

head gaskets can still crack aircooled or watercooled. there is still oil journals in thecylinder/head and they go threw the head gasket. the gasket can still crack and leak oil into the cylinder and burn oil. high compression with a cheap gasket or a drastic change in temp will break them (ie hot day riding running into colder water).
i just fixed a warrior with a blown head gasket so i know it can happen.

not saying it the problem but dont rule it out until its been checked

Last edited by userfriendly; 01-26-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #7

ok thanks for all the help guys, i just picked up a compression tester mine did not have the 12mm adapter for small engines compression is only reading around 92 so i no that it is low i assume it should be around 125 or 130. so should i just pull the head and jug order a top end kit and have it honed, it sounds great other than all the smoke. also the previous owner put an fmf megmax pipe on it and i don't think they jetted it, could that have cause problems,, please let me know where i should begin and thanks for all the help guys.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #8

View 366warrior's Photo Gallery(0)

yeah it probably ran lean and cooked the rings. i'd still do a leakdown test and see where the air is going.
366warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #9

View warriorman2003's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by warriorman2003 View Post

head gaskets can still crack aircooled or watercooled. there is still oil journals in thecylinder/head and they go threw the head gasket. the gasket can still crack and leak oil into the cylinder and burn oil. high compression with a cheap gasket or a drastic change in temp will break them (ie hot day riding running into colder water).
i just fixed a warrior with a blown head gasket so i know it can happen.

not saying it the problem but dont rule it out until its been checked
yes i know there are oil galleries in the head, and unless the head gasket is severely cracked, or your head being cracked, then it wont smoke, it will suck to much air in and run like crap...so this is why i was saying rule out head gasket. now if it was liquid cooled, the anitfreeze would seep past the gasket and get into the combustion chamber causing it to smoke...like on a normal vehicle. besides...the maching runs too good anyways for it to be the head gasket. he just needs rings and valve seals. im not saying your wrong, but i work on small engines and have seen enough and done enough to know that yes it can sometimes be the case...but not this time. the machine just simply runs to well.
warriorman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #10

anyone know where the cheapest place to get parts for warriors is such as rings valve seals ect.. also should i contact fmf and check out what they think as far as a jet kit goes so this doesnt happen again. and thanks for all the help
Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #11

View warrior56's Photo Gallery(0)

If your an AMA member, Bike Bandit is a great place to go. www.bikebandit.com I usually just go to my dealer, most of the time they are just as cheap.
warrior56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #12

cheapcycleparts.com 866-842-0086 ext 168(steve) thats me. call me monday-friday 10am-6:30pm EST. We just changed our site and i dont have the abillity to discount you guys anymore but we still are cheaper prices than most.

Last edited by userfriendly; 01-29-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

yamaha warrior smoking

yamaha warrior 350 smoking problems

yamaha warrior 350 smokes
yamaha warrior smokes
yamaha warrior smokes when started
my yamaha warrior smokes
warrior started smoking
yamaha warrior 350 smoking
yamaha warrior smokes after starting
yamaha warrior smokes and runs bad
how to stop a atv air cooled motor from smoking
warrior 350 smoking
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.