Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

carb "backfire"

This is a discussion on carb "backfire" within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; I know something similar was addressed a month or so ago but...My wife's 97 Warrior just developed carb backfire after sitting over the summer. To ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #1

View foster stupid dog's Photo Gallery(0)
Default carb "backfire"

I know something similar was addressed a month or so ago but...My wife's 97 Warrior just developed carb backfire after sitting over the summer. To date I have cleaned out the carb (several times), replaced the rubber 'O' ring at the carb/manifold, adjusted the air/fuel mixture screw from 0-2.5 turns out, replaced the manifold and 'O' ring at the cylinder and still the backfire. When the bike is idling and it backfires, it will die most of the time. If the bike is being ridden no real issues until you come off the throttle. Could it be the valves are way out of adjustment?
foster stupid dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #2

View bomber315's Photo Gallery(0)

hmmmm im not sure what would cause it to start doing it from just sitting... i would typically say "clean the carb" but you swear its clean.... you also you checked/ replaced the next items on the list..... OH I KNOW! how about bad gas?... the only other thing i can think is the valves grew carbon on them and arent sealing tight, if that is the case then you just gotta run it like you stole it and blow the carbon out
bomber315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #3

View MarkB's Photo Gallery(3)
Default "Carb Backfire"

Quote: Originally Posted by bomber315 View Post
hmmmm im not sure what would cause it to start doing it from just sitting... i would typically say "clean the carb" but you swear its clean.... you also you checked/ replaced the next items on the list..... OH I KNOW! how about bad gas?... the only other thing i can think is the valves grew carbon on them and arent sealing tight, if that is the case then you just gotta run it like you stole it and blow the carbon out
I have the same issue. Had it for awhile now even before getting a ton of motor work done but I will stick to pertinent stuff here. It is strange and every time i think I got the right item replaced I fire it up and... the darn thing still does it.

I have replaced both the intake and exhaust valves and seals. New tapits that will be adjusted again here in a few more hours of riding. New carb boot. Even replaced the carb! New gas, new air cleaner, now I even have a different exhaust on it.

Fire it up, darn thing still does it. I have a 96 Warrior and it runs like a three year olds nose. Can anyone shed some light on this. It is honsetly driving me crazy, and I feel like "any backfire of any type could potentially harm my motor" and I put a lot in to that motor :(
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #4

View 366warrior's Photo Gallery(0)

in both your cases, how do the plugs look? are you guys sure enough gas is flowing from the tank?
366warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #5

Plug is brand new, after about 20 minutes of run time, it is black, not wet or oily. Also the carb has actually been replaced, and both carbs same effect., I got good gas flow, It screams with acceleration, but like at an idle you can notice the "carb backfire" remember this isn't popping out the exhaust it is like it is popping back in to the carb.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #6

It has also been bored, over sized piston, rod crank / rod bearing ... honed, and a new after market CDI box on it and a lot more. Only thing that changed is the amount of power and response I have now. Because with all of that I still get the "carb backfire" I honestly think it is doing it just to agitate me :)
Old 11-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #7

View 366warrior's Photo Gallery(0)

hey mark,
if your plug is black even after 20 hrs, it's too rich. plug should look light tan at end. sounds like you need less fuel or more air or more exhaust flow. try drilling a few large holes in the airbox lid. or back off the airscrew 1/2 turn. what jets are you running?
366warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #8

Default maybe?

Quote: Originally Posted by 366warrior View Post
sounds like you need less fuel or more air or more exhaust flow.
I am going to pick more air... Exhaust good and clean :) I have extra large fuel lines and I think it gets plenty of gas so maybe I will equal it out with some more air?

I am going to do two things:

First I am going to find out what jets I am running and then get back to you because it might make a difference in the adjustments you recommend.

Second thing is I am going make a few air box mods.

I will throw some pics on of the mod if it is any good.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #9

View bomber315's Photo Gallery(0)

yeah good idea... lets us know what jets are in there.... dont got drilling in the airbox just yet.... also check what the fuel screw is set at
bomber315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #10

View NEOHIO25's Photo Gallery(0)

Mark, did you ever figure out the problem?
This is the same thing mine is doing.

warrior popping.... help
Old 02-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #11

View Ricky's Photo Gallery(0)

Thats what mine is doing took it to the shop and he said my carb was shot so im putting the carb off my z400 on it
Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

yamaha bear tracker 250 backfiring

atv backfiring through carb

yamaha 350 big bear backfire

atv carburetor backfire

yamaha warrior backfires through carb

yamaha warrior backfires
yamaha big bear 400 poping noise from air box?
whats it mean when its backfiring through the carburetor on an atv
raptor 350 backfire
yamaha beartracker keeps making popping noise out of carb
what causes exhuast to come thre carb on yamaha big bear
what causes atv to backfire
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.