98 warrrior shift cam assy help - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-12-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to badrider Send a message via Yahoo to badrider
98 warrrior shift cam assy help

fourwheeler wouldnt move. shifter would shift into gear but wouldnt move. so took side of case off where clutch is and took out the shifter and noticed the shift cam assy key way was chiped so the key couldnt stay in the key way. i found the key in the bottom of the oil pan. to fix this problem i assume have to split the case and replace thewhole shift cam assy. if so how do you split the case. and when it splits dose sh*t just start falling out?

i have a 1998 warrior with new pro circuit t4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

any advice would be helpful

post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2009, 07:56 AM

well im not too familiar with the shift parts... but i can tell you if you have to split the case you have a major project on yours hands... you gotta take the motor out first off... and then take the top end off (requiring new rings/ boring/ piston/ new gaskets to re assemble the right way... you might be able to get away with the rings piston and bore size if it isnt worn out but dont count on it) after you get the top end off then drain the oil and lay the motor on its side... take out the bizillion bolts around the perimeter of the case and tap it apart... if you keep it on its side and are careful you shouldnt loose any parts... then if you want to take the other 1/2 off, put both 1/2s back together flip it over and then take tap the other 1/2 off.... you just gotta be really careful no to lose any of the washers that are commonly on the ends of the shafts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-14-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

well i am already to the spliting the case part its no big deal till now. i just never split a case and wanted to be prepaired on whats going to happen when it splits. thanks

post #5 of 7 Old 08-15-2009, 08:51 PM

eh just be careful and youll be fine theres not any springs or anything that that are going to blow out like a jack in the box
post #6 of 7 Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 AM

Don't you have to press the crank out of the case?

2009 sponsors:Mike's Cabinet Tree,612-390-4313 Pat's Small Engine Plus,www.psep.biz Stenstrom Collision,320-679-4447
post #7 of 7 Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mindt View Post
Don't you have to press the crank out of the case?
nope.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode