Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Weird no spark when cranking problem

This is a discussion on Weird no spark when cranking problem within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; This is strange and has me puzzled. A while ago the starter quit, and I was just push starting the quad. I finally got around ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #1

View Blu00Warrior's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Weird no spark when cranking problem

This is strange and has me puzzled. A while ago the starter quit, and I was just push starting the quad. I finally got around to replacing the brushes in the starter yesterday and now the starter cranks and cranks and cranks like a champ but the bike will not start. I push started it and it fires right up no problem. I then took the plug out and cranked it with plug out checking for spark and nothing, no spark at all.

Put the plug back in and it push starts no problem. Now the weird thing is sometimes after it is push started it will fire right up with the starter cranking it. Sometimes it will crank with the starter and fire up once after the push start and then nothing after that, it goes back to not starting with the starter.

I know I had a good ground when I checked for spark with the plug. So any ideas would be appreciated. I just don't what to look at next. I thought if you had enough juice to crank the motor over it would fire but I don't know. Thanks in advance.

BTW this is an '00 warrior.
Blu00Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:46 AM   #2

View 350rider09's Photo Gallery(0)

when you turn your key to the on position, does the solienoid click?
350rider09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #3

View bomber315's Photo Gallery(0)

is your motor actually turning over? i know it sounds crazy... but we gotta rule out the starter clutch first.... take the plug out and put your thumb over the hole... hit the button and the piston should blow your finger off the hole... if it doesnt then your motor isnt actually spinning
bomber315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #4

View Blu00Warrior's Photo Gallery(0)

Starter solenoid does click when the key is turned.

Motor is turning over, I checked for compression when I checked for spark with plug out.

The strange thing is that the bike will fire with the starter after it has been pushed started. It seems to start with the starter for a period of time that relates to how long the bike has been running.

Say I push start it and then turn it off it will start with the starter once immediately after I turn it off but then won't after that. If I run the bike for say 30-45 minutes, it will crank and start with the starter for about five minutes after I turn the bike off.

I've read on other sites that if the stator is weak you can push start the bike because it spins the motor faster than the starter will and thus creates a better voltage to the coil for a spark. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

AC voltage to the coil jumps from .5V to 1.1V when cranking. So my next question is what should the voltage to the coil be when cranking?

I'm assuming that it should be AC voltage to the coil because I get some voltage when cranking, but I have read different opinions from different sources as to weather the voltage is AC or DC. So should the voltage to the coil be AC or DC?

Last edited by Blu00Warrior; 07-28-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Blu00Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #5

View bomber315's Photo Gallery(0)

yeah did you check the stator coils' resistance?... you can download the manual in that one sticky and go from there... sounds like possibly a pickup coil issue.... its weird tho that it will only start when its hot....
bomber315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #6

View Mike Mindt's Photo Gallery(0)

Electrics are a tricky ones to diagnose. There may be enough juice to turn the motor, but not enough to spark. Or, there may be a bad coil or stator or ? Chasing electrical gremlins can be a real hair puller.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #7

View GREASY's Photo Gallery(0)

HI; IV'E HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH A 87, MINE TURNED OUT TO BE THE COIL. ENOUGH ABOUT THAT, HOW WELL DOE'S YOUR WARRIOR RUN WHEN YOU GET IT STARTED? I WOULD TUNE THE CARB. THEN TRY AGAIN, IF THATS NOT ITCHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS ON THE CDI, THE COIL, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CLEAN GROUND ON BOTH YOU CAN USE CRC ELECTRA MOTIVE TO CLEN THE CONTACTS THEN LUBE THEM WITH DIELECTIC GREASE. ONE OF THE GUYS SAID ONE THING I WOULD GET FIRST A MANUAL YOU CAN'T REPAIR THIS WITHOUT THE PROPER INFORMATION. GOOD LUCK.
GREASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Primo Member

Premium Member
View Bowtie's Photo Gallery(8)

07'/06' YFZ 450 - Gone
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #9

View westienz's Photo Gallery(0)

My husqvarna is doing the same. No spark when cranking but it fires up once the starter button is depressed. Maybe that is the problem the depressed button..
Fires up first kick and only has trouble with the spark when cranking.
Got all night and A BOX OF BEERS SO IT SHOULD BE FIXED IN THE MORNING
westienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #10

View cupofjoe_84's Photo Gallery(0)

The good thing with electronics is that most items can be checked with a multimeter. You can check the resistance on the coil to verify that is not the problem, very easy. Also use the multimeter on the battery to make sure it has at least 12.6 volts. I have been through a point where I thought the battery was good and it was the problem with better voltage. A multimeter can check the stator too...I use a haynes manual
cupofjoe_84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

yamaha rhino no spark

05 yfz 450 no spark
yamaha rhino 450 cranking problems
rhino has no spark
07 660 rhino lost spark
yamaha champ wont start
rhino 660 wont fire
yamaha rhino no spark problem
05 yfz 450 crank but no spark
07 yfz 450 no spark
turn key on on a yfz 450 and sparks plug but not fire afterwards
yamaha generator spark plug not sparking
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.