Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

350 warrior starting problems! HELP!

This is a discussion on 350 warrior starting problems! HELP! within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; I recently bought a 97 Warrior to fix and ride for this summer. Previous owner told me all it needed was a battery to start ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #1

View warriorking97's Photo Gallery(0)
Default 350 warrior starting problems! HELP!

I recently bought a 97 Warrior to fix and ride for this summer. Previous owner told me all it needed was a battery to start the quad. You had to roll start it to ride it. Well I decided to hook a lawnmower battery to it to see if it would start that way and when i hit the button absolutley nothing would happen. I also made sure the fuse wasnt blown. Turns out the starter that was on it was not complete and was missing the brushes. I put a new starter on and still nothing when i hit the button. I do notice that with the key and run switch is on...when i hook the cables i hear a relay click everytime i touch the cable to the battery. I found the starter relay and tried to touch the two bolts on top of the relay and it turned the motor over and started. Does this mean the relay is bad or is the start button bad? Like i said i do hear a relay click so does it mean its working?
warriorking97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #2

View bomber315's Photo Gallery(0)

a starter solenoid is more or less a switch for high amps.... it cheaper and way safer to run low amp wire from the battery to the keyswitch to the starter button to the solenoid than it is to run big heavy wire that would be able to run the starter motor.....

so really all that happens is a low amp current throws a switch inside of the solenoid that allows the high amp wire to complete the circuit to the starter motor.... that is the click you hear....

when you jump the two bolts on the soleniod that bypasses the switch inside of it and turns the motor.....

hmmm i just reread what you posted and now im a bit lost....

you say you hear a click as soon as you connect the battery... im not sure what that is.... it could also be those other 2 relays that are right beside the solenoid.... they are for clutch safety switch and neturel saftey switch i think...

maybe im being dumb but i dont know why else anything would click when you touch the cable to the battery....

either way back to the question....
if you run a hot wire from the battery to the terminal of the solenoid that comes from the starter button it should make the starter motor go... if it is in fact that START button that is the culpert.... if the starter doesnt go then im going to have to point at the soleniod.... you should definitly hear a click from the solenoid when you connect the low amp wire the the terminal....

if anyone has a better explaintion feel free!!! after all im JUST a graphic designer :)
bomber315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #3

View warriorking97's Photo Gallery(0)

so your saying run a wire from the battery to the terminal that the start button wire runs to on the starter relay and it should turn over right? if so it is the start button? if not it is the relay? i wonder if there is a way to bypass all this and just use a different start button or switch. what do you think?
warriorking97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #4

View bomber315's Photo Gallery(0)

yep thats what i am saying to do... im not sure with all of the safety stuff if you can just run a different switch... i would say if you got the wires from the actual original switch then yes that should work... but in the same hand they can be that expensive, can they?
bomber315 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

yamaha warrior 350 starting problems

yamaha warrior 350 troubleshooting

yamaha warrior starter relay
yamaha warrior starter problems
yamaha warrior starting problems
350 warrior starting problems
yamaha warrior troubleshooting
yamaha warrior 350 starter solenoid clicking
yamaha warrior 350 starter solenoid
yamaha warrior bypass neutral relay
warrior 350 starter problems
01 warrior relay
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.