Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Snapped off the Exhaust bolts, How to remove?

This is a discussion on Snapped off the Exhaust bolts, How to remove? within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; Well taking the Warrior apart I went to remove the exhaust moanifold off the cylinder and the 1 remaining bolt snapped and the other one ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #1

View jwrape's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Snapped off the Exhaust bolts, How to remove?

Well taking the Warrior apart I went to remove the exhaust moanifold off the cylinder and the 1 remaining bolt snapped and the other one was already snapped off previously.
I know I need to drill a center hole and us a easy out but how do I get the remaining piece of the bolt lose enough to release with the easy out. I don't want to snap the easy out off in it. I've done that before.
jwrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #2

View warriorman2003's Photo Gallery(0)

ha, that exact same thing happened to me, i had to drill the hole completely bigger, and tap new threads in it, use a little bigger bolt, but you will have to waller out the flange where the bolt goes through on the exhaust so the bolt will fit through, or just buy a new head, cause that was a major headache for me. good luck!
warriorman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 AM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by warriorman2003 View Post
ha, that exact same thing happened to me, i had to drill the hole completely bigger, and tap new threads in it, use a little bigger bolt, but you will have to waller out the flange where the bolt goes through on the exhaust so the bolt will fit through, or just buy a new head, cause that was a major headache for me. good luck!
Oh, I was afraid of that.... Maybe if I soak it in some breaker fluid it might lossen up the rusty threads. I'm crossin' my fingers.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #4

View warriorman2003's Photo Gallery(0)

yea that prolly would work, is the head already off? its much easier if it is, that way the frame isnt in your way of your tools. use some PB penetrant, thats the best stuf ive used so far! good luck!
warriorman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by warriorman2003 View Post
yea that prolly would work, is the head already off? its much easier if it is, that way the frame isnt in your way of your tools. use some PB penetrant, thats the best stuf ive used so far! good luck!

Yea, PB Penetrater is what i have to use.
Unfortunately the head is still on it. I figure I will turn the thing on it's butt so I can get a good view of it when I go to remove them. It will prolly be sometime early this week I get to it. I am cleaning the frame and painting first tonight while my wife is out with her girl friends.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Primo Member

Premium Member
View Bowtie's Photo Gallery(8)

One of the biggest problems people run into with easy outs are they don't use the right size and they use one that is to small. When ever I have to use one, I always find the right size bolt to match what snapped and figure out how big I can go on the bit before I start cutting the threads and then I drill it out as close as I can and then insert the easy out. The key is getting your starter bit dead center and if need be, I have taken a die grinder with a metal cutting bit and flattened it so that I can get a good starting spot and the drill bit wont run on you. I also start very small on my first bit, and I let it cut with out to much pressure so that it doesn't snap. I have yet to break one using this method.
07'/06' YFZ 450 - Gone
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
One of the biggest problems people run into with easy outs are they don't use the right size and they use one that is to small. When ever I have to use one, I always find the right size bolt to match what snapped and figure out how big I can go on the bit before I start cutting the threads and then I drill it out as close as I can and then insert the easy out. The key is getting your starter bit dead center and if need be, I have taken a die grinder with a metal cutting bit and flattened it so that I can get a good starting spot and the drill bit wont run on you. I also start very small on my first bit, and I let it cut with out to much pressure so that it doesn't snap. I have yet to break one using this method.
Ok, i will definately keep all that in mind. Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #8

View dieseltech01s's Photo Gallery(0)

as a mechanic i have to do this all the time, dam ford exhaust manifolds. but the best thing i have found is take a wire welder and weld a nut on the end of it then let it cool. then turn them out works about 9 times out of 10. other than that, do like bowtie said but if you can use left hand drill bits. a lot of the time the drill bit will spin them out.
dieseltech01s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by dieseltech01s View Post
as a mechanic i have to do this all the time, dam ford exhaust manifolds. but the best thing i have found is take a wire welder and weld a nut on the end of it then let it cool. then turn them out works about 9 times out of 10. other than that, do like bowtie said but if you can use left hand drill bits. a lot of the time the drill bit will spin them out.
I would weld a nut on it if the head was off and I could set the net there while I welded it but there is no way to hold it there while I weld. I've got some PB blaster on it now. Iwill be drilling it out soon. But love that idea for other bolts later,
Old 01-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #10

View dieseltech01s's Photo Gallery(0)

just take your time and if you drill make sure you get it centered
dieseltech01s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #11

I figured I would update this.

What I did was, after trying to drill it out while the Warrior was stood up on it's butt and failing, I remembered that my Suzuki LT500 Quadzilla had the exhaust Manifold held on by 3 springs. So I put on a Pipe Clamp and then proceeded to use 3 HD springs from Ace Hardware to spring load the exhaust Manifold to the head. Worked perfectly and is still holding great.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:17 AM   #12

View gixer311's Photo Gallery(0)

I just took my head off and gave it to some guy to get the broken ones out...just because the last ride I had, the exhaust came off the head (after trying to squeeze it to the head by other means).
gixer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 AM   #13

View jimk's Photo Gallery(0)

Ok, i did the same thing, i didnt have a drill and tap set because i just got into a dispute and lost all my tools, so i look around the garage and what do i have? an angle grinder, so i removed the head, heated, and tapped the studs with a hammer, they still wouldnt budge, so i ground a notch on the side so my vice grips had something to grip, and it worked, got them out no prob. p.s. the upper stud under the wing was a pain in the ass. USE PATIENCE
Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #14

View childersdave's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Help

My bolts are both out but the threads are all stripped out, What are my options? i took the quad to a few welders but no one wanted to touch it. Should i retap the holes? I saw someone say they use springs, can you post photos on how you did this? any help would be great, I just picked up my Warrior for $450 and cant wait to get out and ride, but this problem is standing in the way! Thanks again!
childersdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #15
Crowd Control

Premium Member
View diggerzmound's Photo Gallery(14)

you can retap them to 1/4 standard thread and go to the local hardware store and get some 1/4" studs. You may have to drill the exhaust flange.
94' Banshee T-5's, Vforce, ported, Cool Head, 2-1
06' Wolverine - Stock!
06' Rhino 450
06' LTZ 440
94' Vmax4 750, 96' 600 MountainMax
diggerzmound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #16

View Bucket's Photo Gallery(0)

The "springs" are helicoils, and they work great.

I just fixed mine and drilled it out and tapped it to a fine thread 1/4". I didn't have to drill the flange, but I may have been lucky.

BTW...don't forget the exhaust gasket...good chance that if the header was off, it was lost.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #17

View childersdave's Photo Gallery(0)

Ok so i was able to put a helicoil in the upper bolt hole, but the lower is a whole different story, there is no meat there and it just isnt working. I think im going to try to jb weld a threaded rod in there. Any thoughts?, i think im out of options.
childersdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

how to remove bolts from a atv exhaust ona timerwolf

how to remove atv exhaust

how to remove exhaust studs from yamaha warrior head

snapped bolt tool

remove broken bolt on exhaust flange on harley
how to remove broke exhaust studs from atv cylinder
how to drill and tap atv exhaust manifold bolts
how to take off a exhaust from a atv raptor.
bolts broke off on echaust on a honda 250x
how to remove exhaust from yamaha rhino
how to remove a head from a suzuki atv
warrior exhaust header gasket#gsc.tab
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.