Blue Traxx Forum banner

No starting and no spark

12K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  diggerzmound 
#1 ·
So we got this 1997 Warrior - another thread we were doing a rebuild.

Before we started the rebuild, it turned over at the handle bar switch and ran with no problem.

Took it down to the frame - painted. All new bearings. Rebuilt the top-end .20 over. Put the motor back in finally.

Hooked up the wiring harness the exact way it was hooked up before. Headlights light, taillight lights. Neutral light indicator doesn't light. Reverse indicator will light if put into reverse.

Hit the start button. Nothing. Clutch switch/kill switch flicks a relay. Tested that relay (the system starting safety relay) ok. Went to test the neutral relay and it's all burnt up looking - when tested it generated a butt load of heat and never triggers. So that's on the replacement list. But we started before this project so that is what is strange - I think it's always been bad because we had no neutral light before.

So is this the reason for no start button activity?

I jumped the starter solenoid and the bike cranked and fired right up. I shut it off. Adjusted idle/choke again. Fired it back up - let it run for a minute. Shut it off and topped off the oil. After it cooled down - I wanted to fire it up again and it just cranked cranked cranked cranked cranked.

Now it's getting no spark.

I've gone through the entire wiring harness. We're grounding.

I tested everything I could. Neutral Switch (stays ungrounded regardless of gear selected), and neutral relay appear to be bad. The starter, solenoid, switch controls, clutch switch all appear to be functioning. The key and is charging the brown wire. The blue/white and red/white wires going into the solenoid are both charged positive when the kill switch is off - when switched to run they both go to ground.

On the stator. I'm not sure what wires are which on the stator - there are 3 paired wires. I tested the 3 wire white harness that goes to the regulator and all testable pairs are just shy of 1ohm resistance which the manual says OK. I'm not sure about the other two paired wires coming out the stator - one measured 300 and the other measured 600. I'm assuming the 600 is an out of spec pick-up coil? Which might answer the no spark?

Also the CDI box looks like it's been heated up too much and has peddles melted into it. There is also a hole in it as well. And I can see the top of a capacitor melting through.

So right now. I'm nearly thinking we need a new stator, CDI, neutral switch and neutral relay.

Seriously... What the hell? :(

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like you are on the right track.

I have never heard of a CDI being so beat up!

#3 ·
Yea tell me about it.

Sucks this is happening like this - my gf is so disappointed (this is her warrior). But hell once we get this all straightened out we're going to have a practically new warrior.

I went through the reverse lever yesterday - the thing was hard to pull up (nearly impossible for her to do it). I took the whole thing apart and it was packed with dirt. Had to soak it in PB Blaster and then clean it. Packed it in new grease and it's as smooth as butter now!

#4 ·
Sounds like someone put a battery charger on backwards on high and let it sit.. A bad short would cause these problems.

#7 ·
CDI fixed sparking issue. Have a spare brand new stator now.

Starter still wouldn't kick, was such a simple problem that i am kicking myself for overlooking. The wire connection for the starter button (red/white wire on 96-01) was broke with a lot of corrosion - the tab was missing. Wasn't making a good connection. Fixed this and it started on it's own. Bought new relays for the neutral circuit and the system start circuit. Everything is working. Bike sounds and runs great!

I'll get the build thread updated with some new pics of it together shortly. Hoping to have it all done tomorrow night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.