Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Replacing cylinder base gasket. PROBLEMS 6/26

This is a discussion on Replacing cylinder base gasket. PROBLEMS 6/26 within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; I can see that the gasket has gotten pushed out, and will be replacing it one weekend when I'm not busy. I have been told ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2005, 01:08 AM   #1

View 2TALL's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Replacing cylinder base gasket. PROBLEMS 6/26

I can see that the gasket has gotten pushed out, and will be replacing it one weekend when I'm not busy. I have been told it is easier to do if I completely remove the motor. Is this true? I would really love to mod the motor at this point, but I have absolutely no money to. Is there any way I can 'band-aid' the gasket for now, and make it a winter project to modify? If not, I will be tearing it down in about 3 weeks, and it will go back in stock. At the same time, I will be painting the frame and plastics to match my Raptor, I like the scheme. Anyways, all help/tips is greatly appreciated.

Looking to get back on a big bore quad soon!
2TALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 06:31 AM   #2

View ucfwarrior's Photo Gallery(0)

Is it leaking oil from the area? If not, just check your head bolts to make sure they're tight and keep riding until you have money to do the mods you want.

If you do need to replace it, the job will be much easier if you remove the engine. Just search the forum and find the pdf of the manual, it will take you through engine disassembly step by step.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #3

Yeah it is leaking, thats how I found it. The gasket itself is pushed out pretty good. I've got the manual, and all necessary parts, now all I need is the time.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:15 AM   #4

View 446raptor's Photo Gallery(0)

I was pissed when this happened to me I filled it in with superglue and put grey RTV on it it was a certain area like a chunk fell out....it doesn't leak anymore...don't know how good superglue does in oil though so don't try it
Raptor 446 Alba Slip on Exhaust, JE 12:1 piston, Mikuni 38mm slide round carb from powroll, Barnett Clutch springs, 430 powroll Regrind, Twist throttle, Ported and polished head, 1mm bigger intake valve, Big Gun Rev box,
446raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:29 PM   #5

Alright, I have the motor on the bench. I was told I can remove the cylinder and head as an assembly. How is this accomplished? The manual only states how to pull everything apart. Thanks in advance for help.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:31 AM   #6

Well, I got it all back together, and the motor is locked up. Not sure what happened. Valves were closed when it went back together, so they aren't bound up.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #7

View ucfwarrior's Photo Gallery(0)

The 4 head bolts fasten the head and the jug to the cases. When you remove these, you can remove the head and the jug as one assembly. There are two allen bolts that hold the head to the jug, these are only to keep them together. They do not carry any load, only the head bolts do. If you leave these two allen bolts fastened you will only need to remove the single allen that holds the jug to the cases. After removing all fasteners you will need to remove the cam chain tensioner so you can remove the chain from the cam sprocket. Remove the cam sprocket and then you can work the chain out of the jug. DO NOT LET THE CHAIN FALL INTO THE BOTTOM END!! You can now remove the head/jug assembly and replace your gasket.

Be careful not to break any piston rings and use loctite on the cam sprocket bolt.

Everything I just explained is in the manual. The only difference is you don't remove the head from the jug.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

why did my blaster blow out cylinder gasket

how to remove and replace a head gasket on a yamaha tw200

how to change raptor 700 head gasket

2004 raptor 350 gasket leak

do you need to remove the engine to replace the head on a 2001 raptor 660

xs650 base gasket mod
how can i tell if my blaster base plate gasket blown
raptor 660 head gasket mod
blaster head gasket install
how much to replace a base gasket on my atv in a shop?
atv base gasket jug
yamaha blaster base gasket
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.