Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

warrior chain adjustment help

This is a discussion on warrior chain adjustment help within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; Now I know this may sound like a really dumb question but I couldn't find the answer in any other posts. How do you properly ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 12:12 AM   #1

View dirtdevil's Photo Gallery(0)
Default warrior chain adjustment help

Now I know this may sound like a really dumb question but I couldn't find the answer in any other posts. How do you properly adjust a warriors chain? If too tight it can break on landing and if it doesn't break it can pull and bust your case. I think mine is too lose because it makes a lot of noise and seems to have a lot of slack. Is there an easy rule of thumb or measurment? I have a shop manual and it says something like 1.5 inches of slack. I don't quite understand and don't want to f up. :( Can someone explain please? Thanks

"I'd rather trust a country man than a towns man." >Genesis "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"

"Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead."
>The Great Gatsby
dirtdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:17 AM   #2

View weed smokin warrior's Photo Gallery(0)

slack i beleive is the space between the top of the swingarm, to where the chain streches up the most. if that makes any sence.
burgard +2 inch a arms
works performance dual rate fronts with rezzies
pro design adapter and filter
wiseco piston
coming soon, lsr axle, razr fronts, and hotcam
weed smokin warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:22 AM   #3
tOj

View tOj's Photo Gallery(0)

loosen both swingarm carrier bolts, pull back as far as tight as u want it, adjust the two backing bolts so they are exactly even (count the threads) and then tighten the swingarm carrier bolts back in place should be good to go,, ass
Old 08-03-2004, 05:56 AM   #4

View mxthunder's Photo Gallery(0)

Lately I have been adjusting my chains simly by pulling back (with all the carrier bolts loose) until there is no slack in the chain. When the suspention goes down, it doesn't affect the tension of the chain. I havn't had a problem yet.
04 YFZ450 - WR Kit, CP 13:1 piston, PC Ti-4 pipe, hotcam intake, cam mod, YZ clutch mod, GYTR basket, FCI intake, jetted, scotts fuel screw, 1" lowering peg nerfs, LSR axle, 15T front sproket, Tag bars, PRM desert grab bar, AC bumper, MXR4 rears, skid plate, pro design kill, various other weight saving mods. | OhioMafiaRiders
mxthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:50 AM   #5

View Warrior King's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by mxthunder
Lately I have been adjusting my chains simly by pulling back (with all the carrier bolts loose) until there is no slack in the chain. When the suspention goes down, it doesn't affect the tension of the chain. I havn't had a problem yet.
yes it does, but when u pull it back all the way there is still some movement in the chain because the links can move. 1 inch of play is good, that means ur chain can m ove up and down 1 inch. (.5 each way) just have some one jump on ur grab bar and make shure ur chain dosent get to tense.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:39 AM   #6

View DuAL PiPES's Photo Gallery(0)

you know what works best? read your manual. thats why you get one with a quad.... i dont know why people go on the internet to find stuff that is thoroughly explained in thier manual
Old 08-03-2004, 09:55 AM   #7
Primo Member

Premium Member
View HubMonkey's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by DuAL PiPES
you know what works best? read your manual. thats why you get one with a quad.... i dont know why people go on the internet to find stuff that is thoroughly explained in thier manual
Maybe because he does not have his manual. Maybe his dog ate it. He needs help and is asking for it here.

Here is a link to the Tech tips section it has the exact operation with pics.

http://www.bluetraxx.com/chain_adjustment_new.htm

Hub

http://www.roostingthedunes.com

Not Your Mother's ATV Site!
HubMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:04 AM   #8

View yamwarrior101's Photo Gallery(0)

its a pain in the ass
Old 08-03-2004, 06:36 PM   #9

Thanks hubmonkey. Dual Pipes blow me. This is exactly what I made mention to before I asked the question, critizism. I have a Clymer manual and it says 1.18-1.57 inches of free play. It also says to support the rear off the ground so you can turn the tires. Do you support it using the swingarm or the frame because both will give you different readings because one is unloading the shock and one is not. I just know a lot can go wrong if you don't do it right. I can guess like everyone else or see if I can get a little help from BT. I have also been told to get 2 friends and sit them on the back and make sure the chain is not tight, as long as it is not than your good to go. Chump

"I'd rather trust a country man than a towns man." >Genesis "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"

"Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead."
>The Great Gatsby
Old 08-03-2004, 06:43 PM   #10

Hey, in the manual it says to take measurments from the middle of the chain on the bottom. The part of the chain that is returning to rear sprocket. In the BT "how to" it says to measure on the top part of the chain. Neither directions makes mestion of whether the suspension should be unloaded or not. What do I do now? Guess?

>The Great Gatsby
Old 09-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #11

View 1990yamawarrior350's Photo Gallery(0)

I'm new to atvs and not really that inclined on wrenching which two bolts is it that you have to loosen to tighten the chain
1990yamawarrior350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #12

View 1990yamawarrior350's Photo Gallery(0)

by the way my chain is tight on the top but the bottom is loose idk if that matters or what like I said im new learning as I go
1990yamawarrior350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #13

View 9five9's Photo Gallery(0)

I'm trying to figure out the swing arm adjustments too. But the reason the chain is tight on the top and loose on the bottom is just because of the way that it rotates. It'll always have tension on the top regardless of how tight or loose it is.

I can't keep my chain on. In the morning I'm gonna try adjusting the swing arm. I also noticed my chain guide is broken. Pretty sure it's been that way since I got the quad 3 years ago. Does anyone ride without one? should I put a new one on there?
9five9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

yamaha warrior chain adjustment

how to tighten chain on warrior 350
how to tighten chain on yamaha warrior 350
how to tighten a chain on a 350 warrior
how to adjust yamaha warrior chain
how to tighten a chain on a 94 warrior
how to adjust chain on warrior 350
warrior 350 chain adjustment
yamaha warrior 350 chain adjustment
1998 yamaha warrior chain adjustment
how to tighten a chain on a 350 yamaha warrior
2001 yamaha warrior chain adjustment
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.