Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

HOW TO CHECK IF CDI IS BAD???

This is a discussion on HOW TO CHECK IF CDI IS BAD??? within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; I have an 88 warrior and suspect the cdi is bad. I have a service manual but it checks out. The reason I think the ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2004, 05:24 PM   #1

View custom_warrior's Photo Gallery(0)
Default HOW TO CHECK IF CDI IS BAD???

I have an 88 warrior and suspect the cdi is bad. I have a service manual but it checks out. The reason I think the cdi is bad is that i have to hook up my new stator backwards in order to get fire at the spark plug. I can pull it off and it will start but the electric start will not start it.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:57 PM   #2

Does no one honestly know how to check if the cdi is bad? I checked it by the service manual. I want to know if there are any other ways to check it. If i take it to yamaha, do they do different checks other than the service manual???
Old 03-16-2004, 07:02 PM   #3

View YamahaForever's Photo Gallery(0)

Try calling and asking the guys at yamaha.
Weisco 101mm 11:1 high compression, Hot Rods stage 2 cam, Kibblewhite valves
YamahaForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
Primo Member

Premium Member
View montycarlo's Photo Gallery(0)

I don't know how to physically test the CDI - Given a little test equipment and a wiring diagram I can eliminate all other possiblities though.
Dave- B class #141 08 Outlaw 450MXR
Landon 07 KFX50 50cc Stock #99
Conner- Radio Flyer (AA hopeful!)
montycarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:16 PM   #5

View MrSlithers's Photo Gallery(0)

If the CDI was bad, then there'd be NO spark and therefore it wouldn't run. You prolly have a bad start switch. But I don't get fully hat you are aying by hooking the stator backwards. One more thing. If you take it to the dealer, they will stick some kinda test meter in the wiring. On my old Warrior, I had power all the way up to the CDI and he told me it a bad but it was gonna cost $300 to replace.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:13 PM   #6

View Quad82's Photo Gallery(0)

You can always buy one off eBay and do a swap. If it was bad, you now have the replacement. If it was good you can make your money back be reselling it. It doesn't sound right. It sounds like you got a different year stator with a different plug setup.
Quad82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:19 PM   #7

View 1stWarrior95's Photo Gallery(0)

I don't understand the whole hook it up backwards thing either, but if I remember right according to the manual the only way to test the CDI is by process of eliminations. (If everything else is good then the CDI must be bad). I went through this on my warrior when I first got it. It would run if you pull started, (tow rope, another quad, you know), but it might or might not start with the electric starter. As time went on it got so it wouldn't start at all with the starter and finally wouldn't run at all.
Problem; BAD STATOR.
CDI's seem to hardly ever go bad but the warrior seems to have a problem eating stators. I've had 2 and both had bad stators.

03/04 Raptor built from parts.
It's stock too of course...
1stWarrior95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:43 AM   #8

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have a brand new Ricky stator installed. Is there anyway the pickup coils can be installed wrong??? From my understanding there are two pickup coils. One for run and one for start. What is causing the start side of the pickup coil to not fire???
Old 03-17-2004, 09:09 AM   #9
Crowd Control

Premium Member
View diggerzmound's Photo Gallery(14)

There are two coils, one is for charging your battery(charging coil) and one is for generating a pulse for your ignition coil(lighting coil). The cdi's main function is to control the point at which the spark is delivered to your spark plug, the cdi basically took the place of the old points systems. If it runs at all the cdi and the stator are good, as well as the coil. As for your wiring issues, depending on whether the ricky stator comes with or without leads, it coulda gotten soldered on the wrong way. Turning the wires around wouldn't be a big deal.

Sounds to me like it is a starting system problem. First thing first, make sure your battery is in good shape, next clean all your battery connections, both sides of your battery cables, both sides of the starter wire, and then your solenoid signal wire. If it still doesn't start, try to short the solenoid across both big terminals. If that turns the starter, it is probably the solenoid, or the starting relay or button.
diggerzmound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:35 AM   #10

View 1stWarrior95's Photo Gallery(0)

There's 3 components in a warrior stator.
I don't know the exact names of them but the main big round part is the charging coil. Then there's another coil attached to the charging coil, that's the trigger coil. Then there's one or two little coils that are on the outside of the flywheel. Some warriors have one and some have two of these little coils. I think they're called pulser coils, (or something like that), but don't quote me on that.
If your warrior will start and charge the battery the charging coil is okay. If it won't start its's one of the other coils more than likely. When the CDI goes bad it won't run at all. When a stator goes bad it goes bad a little at a time until it won't run at all.
The stator was going bad in my 95 when I got it but it would charge the battery if you could get it to run. I bought a used stator off of Ebay and it's run every since. Then I got an 87 warrior. It would run but wouldn't charge the battery. I took the old stator from my 95 and put the trigger and pulser coils on it from the 87 and then it would run and charge the battery.

I'm still guessing your problem is the stator. Maybe Ricky put the wrong color wires in the wrong place or something. I'd call him and ask his opinion.
(Just don't tell him you wired it backwards!)

03/04 Raptor built from parts.
It's stock too of course...
1stWarrior95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:09 AM   #11

Today I tried my truck battery and it still did not change anything. I found that the Ricky stator had bad connections. Two of the wires were frayed and out of the connector. My warrior has never even been ridden. I will call him tomorrow and ask why this happened. Another thing, the connector off of the stator going to the cdi, in the manual and the original stator had yellow, blue, green wires. The Ricky stator has and extra white wire, but i do not know if it was connected or not. The starter bucks when you hold down the start button. My stepdad, mechanic, said it feels like start coil on the stator is not giving the timing needed to start it. Well I hope i get it fixed so I can ride it this summer before I go off to a four-year university. If anyone else can help me it is appreciated, thanks for all of the help, I will keep you updated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

how to check cdi box on atv

how to test cdi box on atv

how to tell if cdi box is bad

yamaha cdi box testing
how to check cdi box
how to test atv cdi
how to tell if my cdi box is bad on my yamaha four wheeler
how to test cdi box on yamaha warrior
how to test a cdi box on a atv
how to know if cdi box is bad
how to test an atv cdi
yamaha atv cdi test
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.