Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

battery not charging

This is a discussion on battery not charging within the Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; I've bought two new batteries already and both have died on me. The lights or any other electrical were not left on to kill the ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 07:32 PM   #1

View sand_demon's Photo Gallery(0)
Default battery not charging

I've bought two new batteries already and both have died on me. The lights or any other electrical were not left on to kill the battery. Now the battery doesn't want to charge at all anymore. I now have to jump start it with a battery jumper all the time. Could there be some sort of short? If so how do I check it out? Any help is appreciated thanx.
sand_demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 07:47 PM   #2

View WarriorRacer's Photo Gallery(0)

It could be the stator.
WarriorRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 09:01 PM   #3

View Quad82's Photo Gallery(0)

Start it then pull one of the battery cables off the battery. If it stays running your stator is puting out. Look at the positive (red) cable about 2 inches from the the battery terminal, is the heavy plastic coating worn through? From here you would probily need a volt/ohm meter and test for shorts.
Quad82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 09:06 PM   #4
Primo Member

Premium Member
View warrior-man's Photo Gallery(0)

Sorry man, notto highjack your post or anything. But i got almsot the opposite problem, when i put the port on my quad when its runnin, it sorta dies down.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:41 AM   #5

The stator apparently still works because I turned it on and disconnected the battery and ran fine. Is it easy to check with the ohm meter if so how do I? Or should I just take it to a shop to check for a short. Thanx
Old 02-26-2003, 06:25 PM   #6

View ultim8warrior's Photo Gallery(0)

It could be your voltage regulator. Do you have a volt meter? If not go to Wal-Mart and pick up a cheap digital one for about $15. With your quad running it put the leads on each battery post it should be putting out around 14 volts give or take a little. Mine was putting out to much power and I was boiling my batteries dry.
92 warrior, Wiseco +.040, ALBA pipe, K&N, 36MM round slide carb,Ti valve springs, Maier plastic, 14 tooth sprocket, Bandits, Douglas .190's, Fly alum. bars, DG bumpers and nerf bars,oil cooler by Mascman

04 KFX 400
ultim8warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 03:22 PM   #7

I went and bought the volt meter to check out the battery while it was running. So I jumped the battery with the jump starter and turned it on. The voltage went only up to .80 which I know is way too low but I am using the meter properly. So it seems that the battery is not charging. Another thing is that the lights still work though I tested the lights and it ran at about 7 volts. So what could be wrong with the bike and not wanting to charge and draining my battery?? Thanx Any help is very much appreciated.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:04 PM   #8

View whitfimb's Photo Gallery(0)

Your next step might be to test for a drain on the battery. With everything off, disconnect one of the battery leads, put the volt meter between the battery and the lead. (If the battery is dead you might have to use your starting source for the test. If it measures voltage you have somthing draining the battery while the quad is off.

Still strange that your quad isn't charging at the battery, sounds like a wireing problem. In my limited electrical experience using an Ohm meter to check for shorts can get complex. The meter reads back thru bulbs and every other electrical device. I thought that they should have a high Ohm reading but that is not always the case.

You might check your battery ground, I forget how the Warrior grounds the battery, But a Bad battery ground / (good stator ground) could cause the bike to run but not charge. Atv's are expesed to some of the harshest of conditions and a faulty ground could be the result. A new battery would assist in finding the problem, but the cost of a shop to fix it might be cheaper and quicker than 3 or 4 batteries.

Michael
whitfimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 05:39 PM   #9

View 1stWarrior95's Photo Gallery(0)

It's more than likely the stator. Warriors have a three phase stator and the charging system is seperate from the ignition system. I had the same problem with my 87. It would run just fine after you jump started it but it wouldn't charge the battery. It would run with the battery cable disconnected too. When the stator went out of my 95 it was just the opposite. It wouldn't start, (most of the time), but if you got it running it would charge the battery. I bought a stator for the 95 and used the charging part of the one out of the 95 for the 87. Now they both opperate just fine.

03/04 Raptor built from parts.
It's stock too of course...
1stWarrior95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:42 PM   #10

how do I check if the stator is working properly? I took the regulator off and took it to go get checked because I thought that it might be not working and they checked and told me that it wasn't and they told me that it was draining my battery and they were right. So I'm going to get a new regulator . but then they said that the stator might be out to and to check it. So my question now is how do I check to see if the stator is running properly. the mechanic said something about using the volt meter at 90 amps or something but I wasn't sure what to do? Thanx once again everybody
Old 02-28-2003, 10:54 PM   #11

View Quad82's Photo Gallery(0)

Without a spare stator for comparison you need a service manual to know the correct ohms between windings. The stators are the same on different models but use different connectors. The color scheem is the same. If you get the readings off your two plugs (black jacketed one comming from the left hand side cover going to a connection between the motor and the selanoid/fuse) I can look at one of my spare ones tomorrow and see if they match. I am sure one of BT members have one they can sell cheep. I myself dont trust coil measurements. A lot easer and for certain by swapping a known good one!
Quad82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 11:15 PM   #12

View 1stWarrior95's Photo Gallery(0)

Quad82 is right. I don't trust the measurements either. When mine went bad in the 95 everthing tested good. It was right at the border on a couple of specs but it was still within range and it was still bad.

03/04 Raptor built from parts.
It's stock too of course...
1stWarrior95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:45 AM   #13

View old man R's Photo Gallery(0)

Sorry to hear about your problem, but I can help. I have a new stator, and a new rectifier(regulator) available way cheaper than yamaha.
old man R is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present)

Search tags for this page

yamaha rhino not charging

yamaha grizzly 660 not charging battery
yamaha warrior doesnt charge
yamaha rhino charging system
350 warrior charging system
yamaha grizzly battery not charging
350 warrior not charging
yamaha rhino 660 charging system
raptor 660 battery not charging
yamaha rhino not charging batt
charging system of a 2006 yamaha raptor 350
what charges the battery 88 yamaha warrior
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.