Blue Traxx Forum banner

2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 Rear Brakes

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  stinky 
#1 ·
Hello all, first post. I'm at the end of my rope trying to figure my brakes out on my 06 Wolverine. My rear brakes have been soft since i bought it a couple of weeks ago. I bought new pads and installed them, no better. I then bleeded them doing the car method of pump pump, hold, open release then close, then let of brakes, still didn't build up that much pressure. A little better but still poor. I eased the brake pads in as you would on a car, and then tried locking them up on my paved driveway. It acted almost like i had ABS, just slip/gripping, but no dead locking. Where is the reservoir for the rear brake caliper? I didn't figure the front brakes were tied in, so i assume there is one somewhere on the right side. I"m coming off a dirt bike, so please if anyone has any advice, pretend like your explaining it to a true ATV novice.

Thanks

#2 ·
I was able to spend some more time working on the quad today and found the back brake reservoir...looks like a job to get to. Looked like I still had a good amount of fluid. I tightened up the hand lever cable but still didn't help that much as it just goes to the foot brake. I'm just used to being able to lock up the back brake on a dirt bike, am I mistaken to think a quad should be able to do that?

#3 ·
Yes my wolverine will lock up the back brake when its in 2wd not when its in 4 though. I am not thoroughly impressed with my wolverines brakes either..

Did you buy really cheap pads? I put some of them on my GSX and they were a little mushy.

#4 ·
I put on a set of EBC Sever Duties. I'm at a loss on the cause. I went over it again last night and just can't figure it out. I used my front brakes here and there on my dirt bike, mostly in right situations, but could always rely on the backs. Kind of makes me uneasy on taking the quad down a steep hill if I can't count on the backs to grab if need be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.