Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Fuel problem on Grizzly 660

This is a discussion on Fuel problem on Grizzly 660 within the Other Models/Brands forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; Tonight while out riding around Peavine Mountain, with the plan of staying up there til after dark and watching the fireworks, my Grizzly died on ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Other Models/Brands

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2002, 01:17 AM   #1

View RobG's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Fuel problem on Grizzly 660

Tonight while out riding around Peavine Mountain, with the plan of staying up there til after dark and watching the fireworks, my Grizzly died on a downhill slope. I couldn't restart it, so I coasted to the bottom in Neutral, where after some playing around, I got it started.
That lasted about five or ten minutes, and then it did it again, again on a downhill. Same result... coast to the bottom. But this time it wouldn't start. It took probably ten minutes of playing around with it to get it ot start. What I did was moved the fuel c o c k valve to the Reserve position, and it started. It ran for about ten more minutes before it quit.

This time, I pulled the left side panel off and was looking at stuff... the spark plug wire, the fuel c o c k , etc, trying to figure out what the deal was. I still had over a half tank of gas, so fuel quantity wasn't the issue.

Eventually, it started again, this time using the choke. If I backed off on the choke, it would die. Also, if I gave it any throttle at all, it'd die. This kept up fora while until it ran again, enough to get maybe another mile or so.

This whole process continued until I finally got back to where I'd parked my Jeep and trailer, and I was able to load it and bring it home.

What the heck is the problem?? It wasn't particularly hot out... high 70's to low 80's by the time the problem started. I don't THINK it was the vaporlock issue.

Near the end, I was having to run it with the choke partially engaged, and it was sputtering pretty badly. I think it was backfiring, but I can't say for sure... it was popping rather than making a gunshot sound.

One thought was that it was bad gas. But if it was, then all of my gas is bad, and I'm on the second 5 gal jug of three that I bought a few weeks ago, and this is the first time I've had this problem.

So... my thoughts are fuel pump or carb. Anybody else had this problem??

Rob
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 07:47 PM   #2
PIT

View PIT's Photo Gallery(0)

That sure sounds like the vapor locking. I experienced the same a few months back. I modified my side panels to let more heat escape and it hasn't happened since.

You can check out my side panel mods here.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:55 PM   #3

View RobG's Photo Gallery(0)

I actually just figured out the problem with help from another forum. It turned out to be that the gas tank vent hose was kinked, so the tank couldn't vent, and it was choking. Once I unkinked it, everything was fine.

Rob
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 05:02 PM   #4
Admizzlstrizzle

Premium Member
View screamin96's Photo Gallery(16)

Ahhh..yup, that can happen, but its such a rare thing that ya never think about it. :)

mike/screamin96
'96 Banshee
'04 YFZ450
'05 Kodiak 450 4x4
'01 Raptor 660R
'?? YF'shee
screamin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:45 AM   #5

View pemmert's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Grizzly fuel handling

The 2 fuel handling problems I had:
1) After deep water, where a small amount was actually injested through the intake, the engine would not re-start until I drained the carburetor bowl via the drain hose that is provided (remove left side panel, it's plain to see and easy to get to). About 1/2 ounce of watery fuel drained out, then she was back to normal. )Water did get into the cylinder, but that was taken out by removing the plug and cranking the engine a few seconds.)
2) The bogging / misfiring after, what I call a "hot soak." The engine re-starts ok, after about 10 to 15 minutes resting on a hot day (above about 80 degrees), but after about 10 or 15 seconds, she bogs down for a little while until things cool down enough and the cooler fuel gets through the carb.

Your experience on the down hills sounds like something different, unless there was a coincidence where you were running down hill after a hot soak. However that doesn't even sound right, because the hot-bogging with mine had clears itself out, whereas it seems in yours it did not.

We have been on some pretty steep stuff, up and down and sideways for long runs with no problems (except when there was the obvious hot-bogging), which probably means there should not be any "angularity" issues with fuel delivery.

Your experience stumps me, as you can tell.

Any chance to get a Yamaha rep involved, through your dealer?
pemmert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:22 PM   #6

View Grizzly660's Photo Gallery(0)

I had that problem just the other day. It would run for a little while then die. I would choke it all the way and it would start and sometimes run. I found the problem with mine was the air filter was clogged with dust. I cleaned the filter and it runs fine now.
Grizzly660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 08:51 AM   #7

View michael conley's Photo Gallery(0)
Default cutting out

yaghhhh i had been having this problem as well, the dealer installed larger main jets and adjusted carb and loosened valves, my fuel has actually boiled in the tank and not even on hot days. the dealer does not of a fix either.
i have wrecked my griz the same way u stalled out luckily u were going down hill i was engaged in uphill climbs which turned into nightmares.
same things u described i am experiencing too has any one a solutution or what i cant get answers from dealer nor yamaha
its a shame to pay so much and have a wrecked quad due to problems
GRN GRZ 660 2002 SIDE PANEL MODS, Main Jets 145, floats 2mm above specs, heat shield in every recomended place. Reverse Light relay activated, Horn, Cus Frnt Steel Bumper, Warn Winch 2000 Lbs, new Foot Pegs suppose to be better than OEM. STILL STALLS

Griz Mods!

WHEN IN DOUBT THROTTLE OUT!
michael conley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #8

View jcmatters's Photo Gallery(0)
Default me too

[quote=PIT;48609]That sure sounds like the vapor locking. I experienced the same a few months back. I modified my side panels to let more heat escape and it hasn't happened since.

i also had the same problem and i took the breather tube off the gas cap and blew some air threw it to find out it was just caked full of mud from my LAST adventure lol
jcmatters is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Other Models/Brands

Search tags for this page

yamaha grizzly 660 problems

grizzly 660 troubleshooting
2002 grizzly carb problems
yamaha raptor 660 misfire
02 grizzly tune up
yamaha 660 grizzly troubleshooting
yamaha grizzly 660 stalling when hot
2003 yamaha grizzly 660 problems
2004 grizzly 660 floods
2005 yamaha grizzly 660 problems
troubleshooting yamaha grizzly 660
2002 polaris floods when fuel tap is in the on position
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.